Our last GREAT potato for this season, a WINNER!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Our last GREAT potato for this season, a WINNER!

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Out of my pitiful lot one potato (interestingly one that was damaged ) didn't freeze completely and this spring sported one eye!!!! so planted it separately so I could baby it, we are calling it the "twenty dollar potato", and will see what happens.
That will teach me buying anything on a whim ;)

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri May 25, 2018 8:41 pm

I just planted the potatoes for this year...red Pontiac, yukon gold and blue russian...little bit of colour and awesome potatoes..will try somethmg else next year just because but these 3 are my go to varieties...not a fan of russets..but its just a personl thing...i dont think that commercially you can find truly organic potatoes...mine are...i pick the beetles off by hand..daily sojourn in the mornings, down the rows picking all the new intruders ...the first day is the craziest..after that it's just a maintenance thing but they keep coming for a coupla weeks and then nada...that day is amazing..the realization that it's over and you have won the good fight...what a rush...anyway, do you good folks have a fave variety and why?.... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri May 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Planted mine and they have sprouted already!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Well, my "twenty dollar potato" has sprouted, can't wait to see if it survives and actually produces something.
I planted "Red Chieftan" and "Yukon Gem" this year, didn't grow either of them before.
I like Yukon Gold, but find the yield really low.
Haven't seen any potatoes beetles in years, possibly eaten by deer, they seem to trim the potato tops every year.
I tend to try different varieties every year, I have only 6 beds and the fact that tomatoes and potatoes are the same family complicates my 4year rotation system, so I am hoping by planting different varieties every year, I will fool the garden in to thinking it's a different plant.
As I am writing it it sounds really feeble, better hit the sack. ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 31, 2018 7:43 am

My potatoes are sprouting. I wonder if it's wrong to fantasize about tearing baby potatoes out of the ground, steaming them and adding butter and pepper. Surely it can't be?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:46 am

One of my potato plants is flowering. Two weeks yesterday, we will kill it and see if the yunguns are fit to eat. Planted late march, about 1/3 of them rotted, but the others look great. Well worth planting then, for me anyway.

That is my Caribes. I really like them. Planted some last week too, they store really well for winter, close to as goodas gems or Yukon gold. They are a little more purple skin that the pic shows.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/pota ... 2587385672
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:24 am

Thankfully i planted these in the north edge of the garden and i think they might have survived the fire....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:46 am
One of my potato plants is flowering. Two weeks yesterday, we will kill it and see if the yunguns are fit to eat.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/pota ... 2587385672
If the potato is planted in a hill, there is an old and tried system to speed up the harvest without killing the plant, just carefully open the side of the hill and take out any usable size potatoes, cover again and the plant can continue to grow.
Thats assuming you care about every potato you can get to harvest. :)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:19 am

I do kiss my potatoes, and I don't catch Herbies.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:13 am

Ah herbie the love bug....lol.
I am going to have to baby my plants along the next little while. The heat scorched a lot of leaves all the way across the garden.....
Will get the sprinklers in today. Usually not watering till july....not this year.....

Return to “Gardening”