Last tomato 2017

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Last tomato 2017

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:36 am

Saturday I ate the last tomato from my garden, I had two others but I didn't notice they were going bad, should have put them in the fridge I guess but that ruins the taste. So hard to go back to store bought tomatoes.

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Last tomato 2017

Post by labradors » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Very sad indeed. I really hate it when you save the last few and don't notice them going bad :( That happened to me with my much-cherished Little Lucky toms - my absolute favourite that are rather late to produce, but at least I only lost one so I can't complain too much. What is more, I still have some Blush and Maglia Rosa toms still ripening. I grew these in containers on the deck so they had some shelter from the house and produced for longer than the ones in the veggie bed.

BTW I've been relegated to saving my ripening tomatoes in the basement because hubby complains about fruit flies in the kitchen (imagine that!) The advantage is that it's cooler down there, and I go down there every day or two and turn them over, inspecting them for bad spots - at least I did until I read that it's best to store them on their stem end. When I tried that I didn't check them every day and the rot set in.....

Oh well. Here's to next year's growing season!

Linda

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Ugh, 6 months to go until garden time, how depressing. I think I might set up some lights and start seeds in December, just to take the edge off lol.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Yes, it is so nice to have fresh veggies from the garden. Sure miss that during the winter. My tomatoes were doing so well until August and they just died from too much rain and cooler weather. It froze near the end of August. My husband bought me a couple cases of tomatoes from a vendor in town that I cleaned up and froze. I'm just finishing up all the peppers he bought me and making my salsa tomorrow. I am looking forward to the end of all this preserving and having a break though. I have done pickles, relish, pears, tomatoes and now all the peppers. The pears came from my son's tree. Hopefully next year will be better weather and not have to buy all those veggies. I guess actually tomatoes are a fruit.

Return to “Gardening”