Question Sweet potato

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Sweet potato

Post by Brebis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:52 am

So, it’s a cold rainy November day and I’m making butternut squash soup. This particular recipe also calls for sweet potatoes so I go dig out the old bag of sweet potatoes from this spring and the “good” ones are sprouting.
Question is, can I keep these going over the winter for planting next spring and if so how is it done. Or is it a waste of time and I get some in the spring!!!
Reckon a day like this is a good time to think about spring!!!!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Sweet potato

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:55 am

break off the sprouts when they're about 2-3 inches long (if they aren't that long yet, put the tuber into some water and let the shoots grow a bit before you break them off the tuber), and put them into a jar of water. when they grow roots, pot them up and leave them in a nice sunny windowsill for the winter, they'll be just fine! i usually start rooting mine in about a month from now, so you aren't that early.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am

Excellent thank you!

Got about 8 or so so will see how it goes, and still had enough good sweet potatoes for the soup too!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:53 am

Dug my sweet potatoes the other day. I was quite pleased. Lot better than some other years. I dug the ground deeper and finer this year, seemed to make a real difference. Now I have to try to get the hang of starting them, so I don't have to depend on others like WWL to get the shoots to plant.
Attachments
IMG_1072.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:50 am

Hey, the clippings I got from those sweet potatoes are starting grow leaves and roots....now have to figure our where I should put them for the rest of the winter, good window space is at a premium here!

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 pm

they will grow in just about any light condition except pitch black....they will get long vines so put them somewhere where they wont grow through your blinds/curtains!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Finally got around to planting the sweet potato shoots I salvaged from some old tubers and put in water. Into a nice sunny south window they go and watch them grow!

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:46 am

my sweet potato has JUST started to send up it's first shoot! yay! it's had roots since christmas...just leading me on i guess.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:52 am

OK does anyone else find sweet potatoes (purchased) are now tasteless and starchy? I rarely find those ones that dissolve into caramelised goodness any more.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:13 am

Yes, I know what you mean. I am still able to find some that taste okay from places like Produce Depot or Farm Boy sometimes, but those stores are not on my regular grocery run route, so don't get them that often.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Gardening”