What can I grow for the chickens?

labradors
Head Chicken

What can I grow for the chickens?

Post by labradors » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 am

Thinking ahead to next year.

My chickens really love old cukes, sliced in half so that they can eat the seeds. They also seem to like Kale leaves. They pull the leaves off the stems and eat most of them, along with the green caterpillars that they attract. Of course they also love tomatoes and leftover melons, especially the seeds. (Their favourite thing is Dandelion leaves, but I don't need to plant those specially, as we are swimming in them!)

I will grow the above plants with the chickens in mind, but is there anything else that they love that I could easily grow for them next year?

Sadly, mine don't seem interested in Marigold flowers, and their beaks are trimmed so they have difficulty pecking hard things like zukes and apples :(.

Thanks,
Linda

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: What can I grow for the chickens?

Post by Happy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:58 am

Mine love cabbage but that may be hard to peck as well. As for apples I just step on them and grind my foot a bit to crush them and they munch away. Melon seeds, squash seeds, pumpkin seeds (mine refuse to eat the flesh) pepper seeds. Their all time favorite from the garden is peas. In fact I may attempt to get some growing up the wire of their pen next year.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 pm

I grow kale, swiss chard, Zucchini, beet greens, strawberries, salad greens for mine. All easy for chickens with trimmed beaks as well (my BSL has a trimmed beak). Also cabbage. They keep well in a cool spot indoors, so I hang one in the covered part of the run regularly to keep them amused on snowy days. Once the others have started on it, there are lots of loose bits for my BSL to grab at too.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm

I wish mine would eat leafy things like yours @Jaye
They look at me like "what's this crap?" The only leafy thing I can tempt them with is spinach and that's only in the middle of winter when greens are at a premium!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:35 pm

I plan to grow a couple rows of corn. I've been thinking of a corn crib for a while. Or a stand of wheat. Corn is easier to keep and feed...just throw them an ear. It's always a question of a cow getting out somewhere and they love corn and sunflower plants.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Happy wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm
I wish mine would eat leafy things like yours @Jaye
They look at me like "what's this crap?" The only leafy thing I can tempt them with is spinach and that's only in the middle of winter when greens are at a premium!
I know what you mean. Mine turn their little beaks up at pumpkin, and apparently, lots of other flocks go crazy for a half a pumpkin with all that yummy pulp and seeds.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Corn is another fav of my guys! Good idea baron. I tried growing popping corn this year. The chickens broke in and ate the ears When they were just a few inches long. Grrr
The all time favourite of chickens seems to be whatever you don't want them to have most.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 pm

We grow corn and freeze whole cobs down so they get treats in January. I'm glad I'm not the only one with princesses who won't eat pumpkin (frankly I don't blame them)!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes, i am still alive..lol....i grow kale, cabbage, pumpkins, zucchini and cucumbers for the birds...they eat just about anything..tomatoes are a fave...especially the big beefsteaks...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi, Tom. Good to have you back. Mine don't like dandelion or pumpkin. Go figure. They don't much care for tomatoes either.

Return to “Gardening”