Building a "digester"

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Building a "digester"

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:17 pm

@Jaye reminded me I should put in the last chapter
After 5 month the remnants of 2 "digesters" has been moved on to an empty 3'x4' garden bed, sloppily boarded up by yours truly.
not completely broken down yet.jpg
My friends the worms are busy at work, can't wait to see if it will be usable on the garden next spring
Worms, doing their bit.jpg

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:55 pm

Oh look what I just found (a study about chicken compost). It's interesting - and scary. I wonder if freezing helps to deactivate the nasties????

www.mdpi.com/2077-0472/4/1/1/htm?fbclid ... yqHvmfq49M

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:15 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, this is from SC, I am going to guess their testing materials came from one of those 5 000 000 chicken barns, fed feed with low levels of antibiotics.
One of the reasons I have decided to go with my version of digesters, is because of the high heat created at the beginning of composting process.
Cooties are going to survive everywhere in small amounts and will probably make us more resistant, its the heavy loads that are a dangerous and I am going to guess that meat from a supermarket has more nasties then my chicken manure that went thru high temperature composting and then thru lovely fat worms.
I will take my chances on it anyway :-)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:31 pm

I will say that Salmonella is very sensitive to heat and this leads me to suspect that the compost it was found in had been inadequately composted.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:10 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:15 pm
I wouldn't worry too much, this is from SC, I am going to guess their testing materials came from one of those 5 000 000 chicken barns, fed feed with low levels of antibiotics.
One of the reasons I have decided to go with my version of digesters, is because of the high heat created at the beginning of composting process.
Cooties are going to survive everywhere in small amounts and will probably make us more resistant, its the heavy loads that are a dangerous and I am going to guess that meat from a supermarket has more nasties then my chicken manure that went thru high temperature composting and then thru lovely fat worms.
I will take my chances on it anyway :-)
Love that," Lovely Fat Worms! "
The things we talk about, I can easily picture some lovely fat worms. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:06 pm

I am going to guess not everybody is as interested in chicken excrement as I am ;) so I patiently slogged thru the link kindly posted by Linda, and the final verdict is....composting rules !!!!!!

Excerpt
Results from the study of Silva et al. [80] also indicated that the final compost of poultry manure was free of fecal coliforms and Salmonella spp., although a thermophilic phase (temperature > 40 °C) was not verified in the compost pile. Additionally, the findings of Guan et al. [81] demonstrated that composting of chicken manure, when managed to produce sufficiently high temperature, could reduce or degrade heat-sensitive genetically modified Pseudomonas chlororaphis and their transgenes. Therefore, available information on composting of poultry wastes indicates that composting is a suitable and environmentally sound method of reducing or eliminating foodborne pathogens. Furthermore, it should be emphasized that proper composting management is needed to ensure that the process achieves the target level of the time–temperature combination for killing pathogens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat May 25, 2019 2:39 pm

This should be called pride of dirt I think.... the resulting compost is fluffy, sweet smelling and light,
so the base material poop, result beautiful soil conditioner, doesn't get much better then that in my book ;)
Compost  Year 3.jpg

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat May 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Lookin great Ontario Chick :). I'm looking forward to using mine this year. Must remember to take a picture of it when I get it out of the composter!

Return to “Gardening”