Cleaning out coop

labradors
Head Chicken

Cleaning out coop

Post by labradors » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:42 am

Having just dug up the spuds, I now have a clean area of garden and was thinking of emptying out the coop and spreading the mixture of pine shavings, lawn clippings and dehydrated poop over the bed. No problem with that, as I wouldn't be planting anything until next year, but then there is the garlic that needs to go in.

Has anyone planted garlic under such a mixture? I obviously don't want to kill my precious garlic, but don't know if it would be putting roots down in the fall and it might be a wonderful soil amendment/mulch.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Cleaning out coop

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:26 pm

I personally wouldn't put any manure accept rabbit droppings directly on the garden.
Poultry manure should be composted for at least a year and if you have an organic garden the time is 3 years.
That said, I know many people do that and have no problem, and in your case I would suggest to plant the garlic first and then use the clean out stuff as a top dressing, no more the 4 inches deep.
That way if you feel things aren't going the way you thought they would, you still have a chance to scrape the stuff off in the spring. :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:09 pm

I put turkey poop and tea on the corn patch. Poop in the fall and tea when growing.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Llama beans are another organic matter you can put directly " plop plop fizz fizz " on your garden & even on your plants in your house right from fresh . No smell either . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do try to grow organically AND have realized that it would probably turn out to be a problem to leave smelly poop around. My friend buried some chicken poop at the bottom of her new strawberry bed, and raccoons dug everything up! I have dogs who like to help themselves to raw poop - yuck! So that would be too much of an invitation :( Anxious as I am to use my "gold" fertilizer on my veggies, I'll have to compost it - and wait :(

Too funny about the Llama beans! Being a gardener, I read that as Lima Beans (which also add nutrients to the soil BTW). I thought you'd gone off at a tangent Ross, but instead, you taught me something that I didn't know :). Must rush out and add some Llamas to my pack/flock. I wonder what the collective noun is for those guys?

Linda

Return to “Gardening”