What happened to my tomato plants!!??

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: What happened to my tomato plants!!??

Post by Shnookie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 pm

I've read that you can prevent blossom end rot by putting egg shells in the hole when you plant your tomatoes.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 am

I do that, but it takes a long time to break them down enough for the plants to use them. Since I have to plant in the same spot for three years, I figure that the worms will enjoy the ground eggshells and will process them for my plants to use the following year.

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:00 am

Picked a bushel of tomatoes yesterday....ketchup cooking on the stove yesterday will be ready for canning today sometime.....its really only 3 of mine with the blight just they all fell off the stakes under the weight! They are true bushes this year and huge! And of course i have been gone for almost 2 weeks and not doing any trimming etc, so everything is all tangled up and laying all over each other and all the stakes are bare go figure. Must have had some windto knock everything down.
also, people looking after my place while we were gone picked about 3 bushels, but walked between the plants, stepping on the stems in places....argh. so i think a lot of my wilted browning up is actually damaged plants. I had 3 plants not blight resistent....so...looks like those are pretty much done. I will pull and burn them soon. Ketchup smells yummy lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 am

Where did you get blight resistant tomato plant@WLLady
😳😳

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 am

I buy seed from veseys.com they are in prince edward island-they have a blight resistent collection-a field tomato, a roma and a cherry.....they are early and late blight resistent. I have only grown these for about 5 years now....will never go back.....the cherry tomatoes are huge....and they are tasty.
http://m.veseys.com/site/veseys/default ... lateblight
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Gardening”