What happened to my tomato plants!!??

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: What happened to my tomato plants!!??

Post by KimChick » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:45 am

labradors wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 am
Can't really say without pictures.

Blossom end rot IS caused by lack of calcium, but that is caused by uneven watering.

Dying from the bottom up sounds like the fungal diseases we get here (Septoria, Early Blight). Removing those diseased/dead leaves as they happen can help to stop the spread of the disease and it doesn't usually affect the tomatoes. Prevention would be spacing the plants adequately, pruning to no more than three stems and using a mulch to stop rain from splashing up "nasties" from the soil. Some people spray with fungicides.

Linda
We had blossom end rot last year. This year, tomatoes are better, especially the Romas.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:10 am

IMG_6364.JPG

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:15 am

Late Blight! I am very familiar with this problem, everything goes well and then after some rain, kaboom! I found spraying with copper sulphate solution helped earlier in the season. I never had it where we used to live but her we do. If you look at the stems there are patches where it starts.
Here is some info.
http://www.usablight.org/node/29
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:01 pm

That is too bad, look at all those tomatoes!

I keep the tomatoes here pruned up as they grow. Nipping suckers and then pruning the leaves from the bottom up the stalk of the plant as it grows. ie by July I have removed the leaves from the ground up to 18inches on the stalk. Yesterday I removed the leaves upto 24inches on the meaty tomatoes and 3-4feet on the cherry tomatoes.

None of this or any other tomato materials get composted. All of it is thrown into the bush or garbage.

I still have problems though. I need to pick the tomatoes on the greenish side as they split if allowed to vine ripen.
Leaves that do not look in good shape get removed as well regardless of position on the plant.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Ugh, yes that's blight. You'll have to finish ripening the tomatoes in the house, or else make a lot of green salsa/chutney/fried green tomatoes. Those plants are toast and will not ever perk back up. If there are any tomatoes on the plants that are still green and healthy, you should save seeds from them as they're likely partially resistant.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Well wheelbarrow was needed to take away bad tomatoes!
This would have been my best tomato crop ever!
Other picture is of ones that "might"be okay :sighke1:
All of these tomatoes are from 3 beefsteak plants and 1 sweet 100 plant
IMG_6367.JPG
IMG_6370.JPG

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:10 am

Came home yesterday to late blight like crazy. Most of the tomatoes seem okay but i know theres only a day or two u til they will start with the brown sunken spots.....so ketchup making today or tomorrow. Will pick today.....been just too wet and cool....perfect breeding conditions for blight.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:23 am

Ugh! Late Blight is the WORST. You will need to pull and dispose of them (in the trash) pronto to get rid of the disease spores and keep them from spreading to other gardens. Keep the tomatoes though! You have my sympathies.

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 am

Just a heads up, the garden will need a good cleanup and the debris should not go in to compost.
Most garden composts don't heat up to high enough temperature to destroy pathogens.
Bit of a pain, because one stray rotten tomato left behind in the garden bed will sproute next year and the cycle continues. :(
Like JP , I trim bottom leaves as the plants grow and any that start yellowing prematurely.
I remember the early struggles with tomatoes years ago, and didn't get things healthy until I have started a 4 year rotation.
My tomatoes have been great this year, BUT, it's mainly because we had so much rain in Eastern ontario, that no watering was needed.
Watering with well water is a problem, because the water is so cold it just shockers the heck out of tomato and cucumber plants.
Always something ;)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:33 pm

My happy cherry tomatoes, don't know why I bother with the large ones, love the taste of these
by end of August they don't usually look this good, but the plentiful rain has really made them shine this year.
Cherry tomatoes.jpg

Return to “Gardening”