How's it growing now?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

How's it growing now?

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Things in veggie land are better even with the crappie weather. I brought in four tomatoes that are just a few days away from good eating, I learned my lesson from 2014 when I went out to get some tomatoes I had been eyeing for days, only to discover that chipmunks ate everything except the skin around the stem.

Onions are the best I ever had. Anyone know why the stems fall over? Especially it seems after a rain. I like the look of rows of onions and not onions that look like they are sleeping. Only one snow pea plant survived. Burgundy bush beans doing well, beets doing well, spinach doing well. Still no lettuce of any kind, must be a disease in the soil, I used three different types. Potatoes doing well, I think I could eat some, I accidentally pulled some up last week and was surprised by how big they were. Carrots doing well, might be able to eat some. Watermelon blooming but it needs heat and rain, we have the rain, just not the heat.

I planted some spare flowers I still had in trays, I meant to do that about three weeks ago. Tomorrow I am going to plant the rest of my onions for green onions and more spinach. That's the end, no more planting this year, makes me a little sad lol.

The lawn looks horrible, even though we have a lot of rain, the grubs are really bad this year, the grass is turning yellow and dying, plus the raccoons are plowing up huge sections at night.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: How's it growing now?

Post by WLLady » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:30 am

Was shocked to see good sized potatoes here too!! The plants are yellowing already. I think the heat and dry 3 weeks pushed them along a bit quickly. My yellow beans came up beautifully, flowered, picked and died!!! They never reflowered!!! Green beans are following suit...sigh. squash bugs are horrible this year so my summer squash has really taken a hit. Cucumbers are crazy....
Sunflowers are getting very tall (i grow the mammoth russians) and flowering already. A bit early for being planted late! And tomatoes. Holy crap tomatoes!!! They are all going to ripen at once...my cherry tomatoes are HUGE. Nothing cherry about them at all. Already had a few field tomatoes. Had to use the btk for hornworm...but seems to have worked.
Planted my next batch of lettuce....
SR-check for ants in your lettuce spot....the ants this year were eating my new sprouts....looked like nothing was sprouting but one i dug around i found ant nests and once i got rid of the ants my lettuce grew really well. Theyre little black ants....buggers.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:05 pm

WLLady wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:30 am
Was shocked to see good sized potatoes here too!! The plants are yellowing already. I think the heat and dry 3 weeks pushed them along a bit quickly. My yellow beans came up beautifully, flowered, picked and died!!! They never reflowered!!! Green beans are following suit...sigh. squash bugs are horrible this year so my summer squash has really taken a hit. Cucumbers are crazy....
Sunflowers are getting very tall (i grow the mammoth russians) and flowering already. A bit early for being planted late! And tomatoes. Holy crap tomatoes!!! They are all going to ripen at once...my cherry tomatoes are HUGE. Nothing cherry about them at all. Already had a few field tomatoes. Had to use the btk for hornworm...but seems to have worked.
Planted my next batch of lettuce....
SR-check for ants in your lettuce spot....the ants this year were eating my new sprouts....looked like nothing was sprouting but one i dug around i found ant nests and once i got rid of the ants my lettuce grew really well. Theyre little black ants....buggers.

Ok, will watch for ants. The only thing is I have two types of spinach on rotation there as well with no problems growing. Maybe ants don't like spinach lol. I like the Russian sunflowers as well, haven't grown them in years but they often got well over 12 feet. They taste good too, 300 blue jays that used to steal them on me would agree!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Haven't posted in a long time..it's been one of those summers...but this caught my attention as not too many people have talked about how the gardens are faring ...what failed, what did well and what do REALLY well...the weather has been odd to say the least, at least up this way in the Rideau Lakes...i put in a whole bucnch of stuff as usual...started peppers and tomatoes and eggplant inside early on in late Feb..odd thing, almost all of the seedlings just stoped growing...not dead, just stopped at a couple of inches tall...i thought, oh oh, this isnt good and nothing much hapened right up to planting time...well, if you see the typical seedlings available at the garden centres and these miserable excuses then you wouldn't be wrong in thinking disaster was on the horizon...but I'm a stubborn cuss and planted all these runts...and nothing else in case it failed..inthink i was lucky because it was cool and wet most of ajune around here and the plants took hold...it looked pretty sad and bleak for quite a few weeks and all of a sudden there was a garden...the five varieties of tomatoes are all large beautiful lush plants about 4 ft high and loaded with fruit....a little late in the ripening dept but hey, I can wait..they are all going to come on at the same time so it'll be nuts around here when that happens...i planted all the gourd type plants from seed and not from sets and the garden is becoming over run ..good thing i've pulled the garlic and its hanging to dry, the potatoes are dug and stored...the onions are ready to be harvested and man are they big this year...i think i found two packets of old seeds for parsnips..total germination failure...i will have one parsnip this year...beets are gorgeours as are carrots, turnips, kohlrabi ....kale is bountiful and the chickens love me...red cabbages and green cabbages are ready and none split....go figure..anyway..i think all in all its been a good year..now, to fix the rooster's bumblefoot..ugh
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm

After a VERY slow start, tomatoes and cukes have been on the menu for couple of weeks now.
Just finished harvesting garlic, very uneven, some bulbs looked like they were on their way to rot, never seen that before, few large heads, rest medium to small, but the tops were going so no choice but take them out.
Now the potato tops are going, way too early to start harvesting now, but may not have any choice either.
Some giant zucchinis, but no pumpkins as far as I can see, very odd.
Romain lettuce still good, rest bolted, since it's so wet and cold, will probably do a second planting of Boston lettuce, , normally I wouldn't bother but the way the weather is going will get another crop.
Definitely un-even harvest, but then it has been an uneven summer ;)
oh forgot...Jerusalem artichokes are 7 'tall.....probably because they are now behind a fence and deer can't get to them, may see some blooms this year ?

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 pm

I had the worst seed-starting spring ever. First it was damping off which wiped out half my peppers and eggplants, plus many of my tomato seedlings. After that they just didn't look good. Yellow and stunted. What an earth was it? I suspected the Pro-Mix (for herbs and veggies) simply because it wasn't what I used in previous years. It took me quite a while before I discovered that it was salty water, thanks to our water softener! I would have replaced the seedlings, but after using rain water, they perked up and looked as good as than the ones for sale in the store. Besides, mine were all irreplaceable, unusual open pollinated varieties, many of which are "new to me".

It's been a slow season, but we've enjoyed lettuce, chard, peas, cukes, zukes, a couple of eggplant and now beans (bush, pole and runner), plus a few early compact tomatoes, grown in containers. The rest of the tomatoes are taking their sweet time and a few have been hit by Septoria, but some are beginning to blush now - hooray!

Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 am

Harvested a whole lot of Yukon Gold yesterday. Awful wart but good to process and freeze. Have yet to get a tomato, they just hang there looking green. Peas are awesome. Just stripped out 3 rows and will try for a late second harvest. Cabbages looking good. Garlic looks nasty, will dig but it all got waterlogged and baked in mud.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:14 am

had to cave and resort to chemical warfare for the squash bugs! gah! i think i better take a year or two off of growing squash......they were insanely bad! and the guineas would rather be with the turkeys than in the garden. buggers. so. i hope this stuff that i got works. i don't hold out much hope for the new generation pesticides but i also don't want to kill EVERYTHING. i'm finally seeing monarchs and honey bees...so handpicked what i could, and sprayed this environmentally friendly stuff from safer's and i'll see if anything lives.

need to plant peas again. mine all finished and were amazing! yum. potatoes will be dug in a week or so probably. tops are yellow, but not "dead" yet.
amazingly my cabbage is doing great this year! and my cauliflower too! yay! and i was hoping some of my watermelon would have been ready for the bbq, but alas, it wasn't, but they're getting BIG! i've never had good watermelon from my garden ever, being on sand and all!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:33 am

Gill the warts are sometime caused by compost/ manure, that wasn't aged well enough.
My large tomatoes are still green too, but I get few plants of "Sweet 1000" or is it a 100 000 now? every year,
They are first to ripen well before any of the large ones.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm

I had to pull every other bush bean plant to allow for improved air flow and to get the soil exposed to the sun a bit. The beans got hit with a white mold or fungus that turned what it touched into mush. I pulled a zucchini plant that had it too.

the snow peas are just finishing and the tomatoes are slowly ripening.

Pulled half of the Garlic recently too

The tent caterpillars have been gone for close to a month but they did a number on the apple trees and black cherry.

Hoping for more sun and a warm fall.

Return to “Gardening”