Egyptian walking onions, Piknik

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Egyptian walking onions, Piknik

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:39 am

I found these a few years ago and really like them. Put them in in the fall like garlic or a little earlier. First green onions next spring, then put in a few more in the spring, green onions all season.

For anyone not familiar, these don't make seeds like a regular onion, they develop a cluster of small bulbs at the end of the stalk, which in time falls over and re roots new onions, hence the name.

Those little onion bulbs at the top are quite strong too, and can be used in salads and omlettes etc, lots of flavor in a little package, but kind of small and fussy to skin. The bulb in the ground never gets real big, and can have woody parts, so is not for storage or regular use as you would cooking onions, but can be used when desired.

Anyway, I have just harvested all the bulbs for planting in the fall and will bring a bunch to the piknik for anyone that might like some in their garden. Probably if you got five or ten, it gets you going and next year you can use some and leave a few that will make you new bulbs to plant til infinity.

You can post here or PM me maybe so I can see how many I should bring.
Attachments
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Egyptian walking onions, Piknik

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 am

I also have a turnip green that sort of naturalizes. not a turnip type root. A brassica of some kind for sure tho. Spreads like dill after the first year, but easy to kill out if you want to. Nice green for salads, stirfries. Has a mild horse radish taste raw. Cooked, the taste changes, but we like it. Again, one of the first things green in the spring. When its about a foot high, you break off the top and it will develop 6 or 8 more tops that can be picked nice and tender a couple weeks later.

Might bring something else too if I think of it. And others that might want to bring something sort of unique that they have would be great but not required.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Neat, I'd love a little of both to try! I've got some yellow mangel wurzel seeds you can have if you like. The harder the clay you grow them in, the sweeter they get.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:25 am

Oh if Jan could pick up some of hose onions for me that would be great! Any chance Jan?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:03 am

Yes, @Farrier1987 , I could pick up a few onion seeds for @Killerbunny too, if you're amenable?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:03 am

@Farrier1987 : Goat's milk - MMMMmmmm! Almost makes me want to make cheese again. ;-)
Your EWOs look really interesting. I see they can climb as well as walk. I'm tempted to try them. Do they need a lot of sun?
Those turnip greens sound tasty - I do like the taste of horseradish. If you have extra, I'm interested!
Unfortunately my garden is pretty much a bust this year, and even if it weren't, I just have run-of-the-mill/nothing special stuff in my yard, so I don't have much to exchange. I do have some extra perennials like lemon balm volunteers, garlic chives, and as usual, plenty of little bleeding heart plants (white and pink) popping up again. Like I said, nothing special, but if anyone is interested, happy to bring some along.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am

Those turnip greens. Thought about it after posting, not sure they are making seeds yet but will check.

I will bring all the onions I don't need and everyone is welcome. And I don't have to get anything back, but I think everyone should bring stuff like that, as we are mostly of the same mind about growing/ producing our own.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:51 pm

My sister was just telling me about these onions, she is going to give me some to try.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 pm

WHAT A DOOFUS! What a FRIGGIN doofus.

Was at the piknik, onions in the trunk of my car. They are still there. Anyone that would like some, send me your mailing address and I will send you some. Sorry.

Nice to have met some folks today. Safe trip home all.

Return to “Gardening”