How does your garden NOT grow?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

How does your garden NOT grow?

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:55 am

How is your garden this year? Mine really sucks. I usually try to eat a tomato by Canada day, I don't think I will have one by August first, my cheery tomatoes are only starting to fill, I planted the black ones, maybe they are slower. I don't think so however, my other tomatoe plants look like its the middle of June and not the end of July. Even though it has been cool, no lettuce came up, neither green or purple only a few that had self seeded from last year. Spinach was not much better, at least it's not bolting. I am only eating onions and spinach. The onions did well as are my beets, many beets are ready to eat now. Carrots are finally growing. Snowpeas were a write off, only three came up and one I pulled because it looked diseased. Burgundy beans looked sick for weeks but are now growing well. Water melons mostly rotted off, I have three left, plus a fourth that looks like I sowed it two weeks ago instead of nearly two months ago. Sweet peppers I usually start eating by August, I have one on a plant out of sic plants. Potatoes doing well, some I sowed, some sowed themselves.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: How does your garden NOT grow?

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:06 am

The only thing we've eaten from the garden so far is cucumbers (galore!), Leaf lettuce and onions. Peas look like we will get first feed this week and bush beans are not far behind. Beets are doing well but still a few weeks from eating. Carrots look miserable...zucchini looks miserable and hasn't produced one...tomatoes and peppers are same. Will need A LOT of sun over the next month if I'm making salsa this fall!!! Of course I opted out of planting spinach this year even though it's a favorite because it always bolts so fast we really don't get enough for the effort. That hindsite rule kicks me in the butt again!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:18 am

We garden (small) in container pots . Tomatoes are poppin ready & green peppers doing very well being harvested .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:00 pm

I try to grow some compact tomatoes in 3 gallon containers really early. That way I can haul them inside if it gets cool or rainy. We've had a few of them already. The rest, in the garden, are taking their sweet time and we'll probably have to wait until August :(.

We've had peas, chard, parsley, cilantro in abundance. Some potatoes self-sowed, but I added more and we have a ton. We tasted them for the first time last night - yum. Zucchini has done well for me this year. I palmed off a whole pile of them to a friend last night to keep them growing. Now I want to make latkes with them. Cukes are doing well. Only one eggplant so far and several have the wilts - eek! Peppers are s-l-o-w.

Runner beans are sad, and the Fortex aren't so good. I had several diseased ones that I had to pull :(. At least the Provider bush beans are growing well, although they are having to battle with the potatoes for space.

I dug up some garlic yesterday. It's looking good :)

Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Garlic is not looking good between being drowned and then baked in, potatoes good, corn meh, squash not doing well, runner beans dead. Noticing a lot of leaves on different trees and shrubs in all different places looking burnt and slightly curly.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:25 pm

I guess there are advantages to being on sand in this weather. My garlic has been harvested and is wonderful. Cucumbers out the whazzoo. Zucchinis everywhere. However the leaf hoppers are destroying my beans and potatoes so i broke protocol and had to use some perithrin or whatever that stuff is by safers....
i have 3 watermelons getting to a respecatble size....hoping that the mice will leave them alone and they will be ready for the picnic!! Some new baby potates. Some acorn squash started to form and my hubbard squash has taken overa quarter of the garden. Raspberries did well. Blackberries too.
the skunk crop was simply awesome....7 already lol
strawberries were small but tasty.....we will get some grapes this year too. Corn is just tassling but very short. Hopefully will get some decent cons but not holding out much hope this year honestly. The plants are shorter than me!!
a few butternuts are starting....but there is a seriously lack of bees this year around here. Lettuce has been good, but bolted fast....cauliflower and broccoli have stopped i think. Cabbage is still doing okay....but we havent had the horrid rains....lots of rain but not flooding because of the sand....

Next year i want bees.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 pm

WLlady, you don't count lol! You had spring back in March and the rest of us can't grow palm trees and bananas like you people way down south can!

I didn't sow corn but I see lots around here not even two feet yet. We are on sandy soil as well but it was really cold and wet this year. The radio was saying this area had 101 days of rain as of last Monday.

Chicky Lady
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Chicky Lady » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 am

I've been fortunate enough to harvest a fair bit so far. Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, peas, beans, lettuce, beets. This is from last week.
20170724_031533.jpg
Eating lots of potatoes (and potato egg salad of course :)). My corn isnt looking great and my Cucumbers and zucchini aren't producing much yet but, I'll have my first tomato within the next few days!
Ashley

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:23 pm

Boy you guys are so far ahead of me I'm disgusted in my garden . So far lots of onions, some green beans and some tomatoes. Cucumber not even close to harvest just some flowers starting.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I think my Scotch Bonnets will be the only thing producing before snow flies :/ They seem indestructible.

Return to “Gardening”