The disgrundled gardeners complaint

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

The disgrundled gardeners complaint

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:04 am

You have been pre-warned this is going to be a rant ;)
after two hail storms in four days, I am taking stock of this tragic thing that is usually my lovely veg garden..
The carrots are still flat, can't find the parsnips, half of the tomato plants sent out extra plants from the base, no doubt encouraged in to unreasonable growth by constant rain, after taking the shoots off, it would appear about half the plants don't even have blooms.
Cucumbers are blooming on plants that are exactly the same size they were month ago, same thing for zucchinis, accept they aren't blooming.
The only thing that is hale happy and thriving are the potatoes, no doubt happy they are covered and not being eaten by deer, which makes me wonder if they are actually bothering to grow any tubers underground.
Garden June 2017.jpg
To top it all off, the apple trees are covered by apple/cedar rust, the only humorous part of this morning was the recommendation on how to deal with the problem....remove all cedar trees in a 2 mile radius :roll:
my rant for the day Thanks for reading, I am feeling better already ;)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: The disgrundled gardeners complaint

Post by kenya » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:33 am

I feel for you , we've had so much rain here, I don't know whats going to happen. I have gotten some cherry tomatoes, which is really surprising as the plants seem stunted. I've had to cut the lawn between raindrops and I know you are supposed to wait till your lawn is dry but if I waited it would be a foot high. If it drys up it could turn out ok. I say this as it pours rain outside.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:19 pm

It's the same here. The nottawasaga river is sooooo swollen. The township started construction on a road near me to re-route the road and get rid of the single lane iron bridge that crosses the river. Last fall they came in and cleared land and trees and started bringing fill in. It's completely flooded. It's been sitting the same way for close to 9 months. I'm sure nothing can move forward until the water level drops. On the plus side we haven't had to shovel this precipitation!
I thought I had forgotten my iPhone in the coop last night (something I've done before lol) so when I couldn't find it this morning I started a search. Not in the coop. It wasn't in the house because hubby had already called it and no ring tone to be heard. It was fully charged. Started retracing my steps and found it laying face up beside the row of carrots I had managed to thin out in the hour or so that it didn't rain late yesterday lol. It poured here last night. It's laying in a bag of rice for the day. Sheesh. Im impressed it's alive. It was in an Otter case but without the water proof screen sleeve. I highly recommend that case!

I believe it is NOT the year of the rooster but the year of the snake. I can't turn around without seeing one. You would think that would desensitized me...nope. and since hubby found one sleeping UP ON A ROOF RAFTER in the garage...ya I refuse to go in there any longer. It's bad enough seeing them on the ground. Knowing they can climb....OMG no. Wrong. There's no where safe now! Heebeejeebies

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 pm

I forgot...OC did you make those hoop rolls? I'd love to see a close up pic if possible. Our neighbor has been releasing rabbits the past few years and we've got quite a few visiting the garden this spring!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:20 pm

It's just electrical conduit pipes attached to a board and supported by a post on each side, the ends are just loosely stuck in the ground, the frames just keep them from sliding out.
Any kind of netting can then be put over that, the only way I can grow tomatoes here, deer are very fond of them especially the yellow ones. :) hope this helps.
GDN hoop 3.jpg
GDN hoop 2.jpg
GDN hoop 1.jpg

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:48 am

Yeah... I escaped the frequent hail in and around Ottawa, but had to hit reset on tomatoes and squashes twice. Peas and beans doing great, tatties as well but everything else is blah. Ah well.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:01 am

ANd it always makes me wonder how the heck the pioneers managed on arrival here. Must have been a shock coming from say England being promised a better life. Anyone read "Sisters in the Wilderness" by Charlotte Gray? Gives me a new appreciation for them.
Cherries are staring to look red and ripening nicely. I checked because the birds are lining up in readiness for the harvest. I get the bottom ones and they get the top, seems fair to me.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:38 pm

I've got tons of mulberries, course tons of birds eating them Cedar Waxwings love them, the only time I get to see them so I don't mind.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Happy wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 pm
I forgot...OC did you make those hoop rolls? I'd love to see a close up pic if possible. Our neighbor has been releasing rabbits the past few years and we've got quite a few visiting the garden this spring!
Wow wish I had a neighbor like that . Free organic food no season . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 am

It's going to be a difficult season for many veggies me thinks. My neighbor down the road had to pull her zukes because the cuke beetles devoured them! No doubt they will be coming here next! My spuds, peas and beans are loving all the rain and my tomato plants in the veggie garden are in flower, but I planted some compacts early in containers and have eaten some already. I can bring the pots inside if it's going to rain a ton - might save them a bit from wind/rain-borne diseases such as Septoria and Early Blight.

Just wanted to pass the word that it's a good idea to pick tomatoes that show any short of blush (redness) to save them from predation by animals and birds, as well as forecasted heavy rains which can not only cause splitting, but also really dilute the flavor. Apparently, they don't lose their flavor by being ripened inside (except IMHO Sungold does and really needs to ripen on the vine).

Linda

Return to “Gardening”