Question Can anyone identify?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Can anyone identify?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Does anyone know for sure what this flower is? The plant will bloom July/August, this first flower is a little early and a little lighter coloured than they will be later. They grow quite tall, 4-5 feet, and have an invasive spreading habit but so far haven't gone wild in the lawn. I've heard maybe sunchoke, maybe elecampane, and lots of "I don't know but I have loads of them too". They are currently occupying a large spot in the flower garden, and if they're not useful for food or medicine, I want to remove them.
IMG_20170627_191900.jpg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Can anyone identify?

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Sunchoke is another name for Jerusalem artichoke (new politically correct name?) and you would recognize that.
Scientific name for these is DYC (darn yellow composite) they make good cutting flowers and I suspect that rather then spreading, they are re-seeding themselves?
My Jerusalem artichokes don't look that healthy, but I suspect you have better soil, you can always check the root and then you will know for sure :)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Yes I know them as jerusalem artichoke as well. I've never found mine invasive, I just pull out any extras and they are gone.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Apparently it's not a useless plant, either:
http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/jerusa ... choke.html
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 am

Just to revisit your question Jan, your plant is Coreopses has about 100 varieties and definitely isn't edible.
Blooms right thru summer and deadheading will promote more flowers, which you may or may not want. :)
Jerusalem artichoke on the other hand has an edible root and sunflower like bloom .
I have waited patiently all summer so I could take a picture of Bothe which are conveniently located in my garden about 12' from each other.
Unfortunately my Jerusalem artichokes went completely bonkers this year, possibly cross-pollinated with Triffids and grew and grew and although they have finally produced something resembling a bloom they are now about 12'high so difficult to take a picture of.
Jerusalem artichokes
Jerusalem Artichokes.jpg
Jerusalem artichokes left foreground, Coreopses behind fence rail, large grasses hogging the middle
Jerusalem artichokes & coreopses.jpg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:06 am

Should have mentioned Coreopses will form colonies, a bit like the "wild Day lilies"
Jerusalem artichoke spread by rhizomes, a bit like potatoes if they were perennial and the new potatoes grew new plants next year.
BTW if you need some Jerusalem artichokes I have some of the "triffid" variety, happy to share.
This picture is from August, when they started to overtake the Apple tree
Jerusalem Artichoke August.jpg

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 am

After posting this question, I never got the chance to dig some up and have a look at the roots, never mind a picture in late summer when they bloom, BECAUSE, Aggie the goat escaped that week, brought some friends, made a beeline to the front of my house, and ate the bush of them to the ground. They haven't yet sprung back up, but I'm sure they will in Spring, because last year's dry weather knocked them back and they were full and healthy foliage this year until the goats ate them.
Coreopsis...are you sure, @Ontario Chick ? If so, they will definitely be pulled and burned.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 am

Not sure on the coreopsis, the foliage doesn't look right to me? Not fine enough.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:48 am

Goats is terrible aminals. I lovem.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:16 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 am
After posting this question, I never got the chance to dig some up and have a look at the roots, never mind a picture in late summer when they bloom, BECAUSE, Aggie the goat escaped that week, brought some friends, made a beeline to the front of my house, and ate the bush of them to the ground. They haven't yet sprung back up, but I'm sure they will in Spring, because last year's dry weather knocked them back and they were full and healthy foliage this year until the goats ate them.
Coreopsis...are you sure, @Ontario Chick ? If so, they will definitely be pulled and burned.
Absolutely sure, you will know when you pull, if there are Jerusalem artichokes coming up when you pull,
I will eat my hat and all the Jerusalem artichokes you can find
Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 am
Not sure on the coreopsis, the foliage doesn't look right to me? Not fine enough.
There are 100 varieties some of them have feathery leaves some some oval, some heart shape, blooms with different color centers and size of flower.

Return to “Gardening”