Seed: The untold story

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:20 am

Well I just purchased some of those Gete Okosomin Squash, the "really cool old squash." Im so excited! Its said the original seeds were found in a clay pot on an archeology dig that dated back to 850 years ago. To bad I didnt know about this variety a week ago when I put an order in at rareseeds.com but oh well I got free shipping this time. :-)

http://www.rareseeds.com/gete-okosomin-squash-/

Edit.... I guess the story about those seeds isnt entirely true but however they are an ancient Native American breed that goes back 1000's of years.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:29 am

I love that site Al, it's where I get my seeds from. I got a huge yield off Cherokee Trail of Tears black beans last year and I got the Lakota squash for this in the hope I find a squash worth eating LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 am

This is my first year ordering from them, Clawton asked if I wanted to join in on his order so I started cruising the site. Before long I had a pretty big cart and realized I needed to submit it on my own. LOL but hey they take paypal so I was pretty excited about that!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

I found it really interesting, and a bit sad too. It was a bit choppy in the way it was presented.

It did answer one of my questions - why aren't scientists developing plants that don't need all the chemicals? - because the chemical companies basically "own" the scientists (and now the farmers). So the chemical companies have had scientists develop hybrid GMO corn (and other grain) varieties that need a lot of chemicals to survive, and then the US government subsidizes the corn farmers, which indirectly subsidizes the chemical companies. And the winner is?

I only saw part of their interview on the Agenda. I didn't realize they were going to be on it. The same people made the documentary Queen of the Sun about the decline of honey bees. I thought that was a good documentary.

People who save heritage seeds in large numbers should try to find somewhere to have a backup stored, or at least let their friends and families know what they have been doing so the seeds can be saved by someone else if they pass on. I have a friend who collects irises. She has gotten some from as far as Europe. There is a group there trying to preserve the different kinds of irises by spreading them out to other countries.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:29 am

Isn't it sad that nothing shocks me anymore about the way big corporations are so corrupt, when I watch these documentaries, I am now just waiting for the evidence to prove that all the conspiracy theories were actually facts and they the people trying to report it were on purposely made out to look crazy. Unbelievable. Imagine suing for the right to spray near schools after nearly killing the kids playing outside one day, disgusting. Plus, purposely burning all the old seeds so that there would be no competition for the Frankenseeds!

I feel sad that we cleaned out all the old wheat and oat seeds, my Dad would often say after that the newer seeds produced more in a good year but he said the plants were weak in bad times. He also said that you would NEVER get weeds in your field from buying seed, the mill would be shamed out of business. Now if you sow grain for sure you always get mustard or yellow rocket because they want you to get sprays. They will try to say that you brought up old weed seeds from years ago, even though the field never had those weeds before.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 am

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST Isn't it sad that nothing shocks me anymore about the way big corporations are so corrupt,
:iagree:
I also noticed that the most shocking thing to me, was the fact that none of it really surprised me. Not only because all of those stories have been publicized before, but because bottom line rules the world, and big business owns governments.
The occasional voice of dissent is just drowned out by obscene piles of money to be made with complete disregard for well being of the planet and the occupants .
Ok, that was my rant for the day. :2cents:

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:58 pm

For anyone that missed it and would like to view it here is the link available until April 9 2017.

http://tvo.org/video/documentaries/seed ... told-story

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:15 pm

The same thing is happening here in Canada. The nightmare Monsanto has caused the farmers out west? Yes, this has been going on for some time. Many farmers have lost there farms to Monsanto. There are a few who have banded together and are fighting back and suing Monsanto. These companies are trying their best to rid us of all organic heritage seeds. Totally disgusting!

My husband was talking to a potato farmer yesterday. He said that he so regrets getting rid of his heritage potato a few years ago, as he doesn't know what he is growing anymore. This is a family business that has been handed down for generations.

We planted some 'Yukon Gold' potatoes last year and man they are not the same. They all went green even though we protected them from the light in a cold room. I would have to cut half the potatoes away, as these green causes cancer.

2013 was the last year we planted corn. I guess due to my food allergies I got so sick from eating it, I thought I was going to die. I was in bed for a week.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Last year chipmunks ate most of the corn seed I sowed, it was an older type that I had for a couple of years. I bought more seed thinking corn seed is corn seed, nope big mistake. On the package was hybrid this and hybrid that and all these warnings about sowing it and not to sow it near type A corn but ok near type B corn etc etc, I was thinking WHAT THE HECK???? It didn't grow that well and most cobs were as big as a dill pickle and I think it ate one of the cats, so never again!!!

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:39 pm

That's too bad. We do have some our own seed from a few vegetables, but unfortunately I'm not sure of the types, as I didn't write on them what they are. I started to check out heritage and rare seeds to purchase on line in Canada. I am still looking into this one located in Manitoba. Not sure of the costs involved, but they do have various payment methods. If anyone wants to check it out here is the link.

https://www.heritageharvestseed.com/index.html

Return to “Gardening”