Seed: The untold story

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 pm

TVO has a documentary on Thursday night about how seed patents and lack of seed diversity affect our food supply.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 pm

The documentary is called Seed: The Untold Story.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 am

This page of the PBS website has a place to select Watch Video. I don't know if it is the whole show or the trailer. I can't try it, I have dial-up internet.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/film … old-story/

Here's some more information about the film. I found this on the PBS website.

Worshipped and treasured since the dawn of humankind, few things on Earth are as miraculous and vital as seeds. SEED: The Untold Story follows passionate seed keepers intent on protecting our 12,000 year-old food legacy.
In the last century, 94% of our seed varieties have disappeared. This once abundant seed diversity — painstakingly created by ancient farmers and gardeners over countless millennia — has been drastically winnowed down to a handful of mass-produced varieties. Under the spell of industrial "progress" and corporate profits, family farmsteads have given way to mechanized agribusinesses sowing genetically identical crops on a massive scale. But without seed diversity, crop diseases rise and empires fall.
More than a cautionary tale of "man against nature," SEED reveals the work of farmers, scientists, lawyers, and indigenous seed keepers who are fighting a David versus Goliath battle to defend the future of our food. In a story both harrowing and heartening, we meet a wide variety of reluctant heroes working to rekindle a lost connection to our most treasured resource, from the pueblos of New Mexico to a seed bunker in Norway, from India to America’s heartland, from Peru to Hawaii. Among the dozens of people featured are Will Bonsall of the Scatterseed Project, Dr. Jane Goodall, environmental lawyer Claire Hope Cummings, ethnobotanist Gary Paul Nabhan, botanical explorer Joseph Simcox, Andrew Kimbrell of the Center for Food Safety, and physicist/activist Dr. Vandana Shiva.
SEED explores the hidden fabric of our food and the people that painstakingly and meticulously curate its diversity, in an era of climate uncertainty and immense corporate power.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:40 pm

I checked the link that you posted, Shnookie, and it looks like the film will be available for viewing on that website on the premier date - April 17, 2017. Think I'll bookmark it. Thanks for posting.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for this info Shnookie. I really like watching documentaries on TVO. Good stuff.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 pm

1 hour to go.... the film makers will be on the agenda coming up soon...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Its been on for 5 mins n im kinda sad... we've lost 94% of our vegetable varieties in 100 years. Im a seed saver and have a bit of a vault myself. I need a bigger gardens! Many more!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Well I think that was a great documentary. Id like to think it gave me hope for the future of humanity and reassured why our family does what we do. Were growing our future and I hope our children grow up to carry this on with their family.

And one day I would really like to see those chemical companies pay for their crimes against humanity.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:35 pm

The message is pretty clear, we are an amazingly arrogant species, we actually thought that millennia of evolution could be improved by a few decades of hybridization never mind GMO chemical trials using us instead of mice.
The message was clear, but I found the program a bit cobbled together. I guess it would take several hours to cover the subject bit more comprehensively.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Yes Oc, I agree it wasnt long enough, I was disappointed that it was only an hour. And yep, we are the mice and the world is the lab.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Gardening”