starting my seeds

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: starting my seeds

Post by thegawd » Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 am

I have 13 different heirloom breeds of tomato for a total of 72 plants. 6 ground cheeries, I've never had these before but figured we'll give them a shot. peppers, I think 5 different breeds of pepper, mostly sweet. eggplant, 2 varieties.

they are all doing great and about 3-4 inches long. we also started a whack load of experimental apple seeds, 14 have popped up. wooohooo!

I have a little portable greenhouse that I put caster wheels on so I can roll it around to the best sun in the sun room. it really traps the heat In and let's the plants grow much better, it is working perfectly! but yesterday I was granted permission to build a real greenhouse!!! wooohoooo I all ready have the plans drawn up!

now if spring will arrive and dry up the garden a bit maybe I could plant something in it! LOL.
Screenshot_2017-05-08-09-53-17.png
Screenshot_2017-05-08-09-53-38.png
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 am

what's kinda funny is I reseeded all of the seeds that didn't come up and then they did come up! LOL. Should I pinch one plant out or leave them be for now? remember I'm a rookie and need all the help I can get. HAHA
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu May 11, 2017 6:30 pm

I would pinch one out, lol.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu May 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Just repot them pull them apart gently and repot into 2 pots lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri May 12, 2017 9:47 am

If it's not too late, you could cut the unwanted seed with scissors so as not to disturb its neighbor or, as WLLady says, gently re-pot so that you will have two :)

Your seedlings look a bit leggy and need more light. Is that mesh covering removable, or part of the plastic? If they do grow leggy, you can always plant them really deep at plant-out time, and roots will grow along the stem.

How wonderful to have a real greenhouse in the works :)

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sat May 13, 2017 10:03 am

thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it. your right Labrador, they are a little long and yeah the mesh is a apart of the plastic, to provide some shade. we had 3 of these, all different and this one is the only one where the plastic didnt disintegrate. we have 2 sunrooms but only the one gets decent sun and its not consistent, it also hasnt been very warm. but I started a whack load of plants in this sunroom last year and they all turned out very productive so I'm not to worried about it right now.

I cant wait to build and then use the greenhouse though. where I'm building it recieves full sun but has a very nice strawberry patch. so I may start construction soon but I wont close it in until the berries are harvested and we can move the plants. so in other words I'll be using it next year or maybe in the fall, we shall see.

have a great day all!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Sat May 13, 2017 5:01 pm

I highly recommend using 2 layers of plastic on greenhouse with 1 layer 1/2 " bubblewrap on sunny side and 3 layers on shaded side between the layers. Really helps with temperature swings and light is diffused to produce strong plants. Do it right and make it work. Well worth it.
Bubblewrap 250' x 4' roll available from u-line or a local pkg. co. for under $100 usually.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat May 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Be careful if the greenhouse is in full sun. You may need shades on the windows.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Gardening”