Store bought vs homegrown

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:23 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST You can also freeze herbs into ice cubes for use in cooking. Just put into ice cube tay fill with water and then break out cubes when frozen and store in a bag. Then pop one into you soup/stew/whatever.
Beer cubes....lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:14 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST You can also freeze herbs into ice cubes for use in cooking. Just put into ice cube tay fill with water and then break out cubes when frozen and store in a bag. Then pop one into you soup/stew/whatever.
You can also freeze herbs into olive oil and do as above. I personally don't like to do it as the basil or mint turns black with freezing.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:07 pm

Wow you certainly have a lot of energy doing up your own herbs, the difference in colour is astonishing. Would for sure choose yours over store bought!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:46 pm

My dehydrater does all the work really. Lol my house smells nice-like peppermint tonight. Lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Store bought looks so anemic!!! Would choose yours for sure. I haven't dried herbs in so long, I do like the idea of freezing them into cubes though!! :wink:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Yummy peppermint....ready for tea making!!!
20161011_202646.jpg
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Lizzie just finished our first dehydrator full of parsley! Theres sooooo much more to go and a bunch of other stuff. maybe I should build that solar dehydrator... it might go a bit faster. ;-)
Screenshot_2016-10-11-20-50-10-195503733.png
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:53 pm

so do you just replant the ones that wont come back every year or dig them up / move the pot inside?
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:37 am

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST so do you just replant the ones that wont come back every year or dig them up / move the pot inside?
Whichever works for you. If you do take some inside let me know if you get bugs flying around and how you deal with it. That's why I don't bring them in anymore. Like fruit flies everywhere

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:41 am

I replant the annuals every year. Parsley is bi-annual-so it will come up first year, you harvest but leave some leaves on it, let it die back and then it will resprout next year, and make leaves AND seed. Things like thyme, oregano and mints will all overwinter quite well, and spread like crazy, and then you'll be yanking them out from the other side of the garden, and they'll grow into your lawn LOL. chives are better behaved, they don't spread as fast, they survive the winter just fine-up to about zone 3. Basil, lemon balm, etc i plant every year. I buy a package of seed and then only plant what i need, and then use that seed for up to 5 years without any problem.....
i used to bring plants into the house, but got flies, and white fly-which then got into my house plants, and took me FOREVER to get rid of. so i don't do that anymore either.

Return to “Gardening”