Walnut Trees

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Walnut Trees

Post by muffin57 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:46 pm

Has anyone tried to grow walnuts from seed? We got some walnuts off of a tree yesterday. The skin is still green, so I guess I will have to let them dry out first.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Walnut Trees

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:15 pm

They come up everywhere on their own. I imagine they have to go thru a freeze first.... at least the ones coming up around here do. I hate the things. You can't kill them. Cut them down, and they come up like a bush. lol.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Walnut Trees

Post by muffin57 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:22 pm

These are nice trees that we got them from. They are growing in the city. It's the first time I have seen a walnut tree. I thought it would be so nice to have my own walnuts, for baking and eating. I love walnuts! I guess you don't pick them then eh?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Walnut Trees

Post by ross » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Plant carefully . Because of Juglon (sp) many things will not grow under/near walnuts . We have over 20 here on our acreage even the horses eat the grass last under walnut trees . We didn't let them graze near trees . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Walnut Trees

Post by goatgal35 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:48 pm

Yup they grow easily from seed. We have them everywhere. Nothing likes them, even goats wont eat the leaves, bark, or baby trees. Very little will grow under a walnut tree and those green stain everything nuts hulls are no fun. The nutmeat is yummy, but soooo much work to get. Way more work than the kind you buy in the stores, but better tasting. Good luck

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Walnut Trees

Post by muffin57 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info! Good to know.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Walnut Trees

Post by Robbie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:51 pm

We grew them from seed, almost 30 years and we're still waiting for walnuts. Ditto butternuts, heartnuts and hickory nuts....... waiting.... :rip: ... still waiting............
:sFun_mornincoffee:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Walnut Trees

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:08 pm

If you want edible nuts in your lifetime... Don't grow from seed. You plant 100 nuts/seeds many will have 1. nuts too hard to crack 2. Nuts with lots of ribbing inside (you need a dentists tools to get the numeat out) 3. Flavour can vary 4. Size can vary 5. Maturity can vary (some trees take a long time to mature). If a tree proves not worth it it can be grafted to a better tree using your wild tree as a rootstock.

That's why the nut growers (www.songonline.ca) all gravitate to heartnuts. It's a Japanese walnut in the shape of a heart. Crack it and a big piece of meat falls out.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Walnut Trees

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:12 am

Yes, you can grow walnuts from seed, squirrels do it all the time lol, and I've done it twice. Remove the green husk from the nut. If you don't, chances are good the nut will get fungus after planting, and never sprout. Put the nut in a baggie in the fridge for a week, then in the freezer for a couple weeks, then back in the fridge for a week or until you're ready to plant, then stick it a couple inches deep into a pot of dirt where it will get warm days and cool nights. Water dirt only when top is dry, don't keep it always damp or seed will rot. And Ross is right about juglone... MNot good for most animals or plants. BR is right about nut quality...IF you ever get walnuts, they will require an unusual amount of work to actually eat any lol, BUT, you'll have a big beautiful shade tree useful for other things :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Walnut Trees

Post by WLLady » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:20 pm

Mine get hit by lightning a lot and they kill the grass and i have to fence off in the fall because leaves and nut shells are poisonous to horses......
If i had my choice and a pile of time they would be gone. They are nice big trees but when they do give nuts do NOT rake under them in the fall in the wind...not until every single one of those headbashers has fallen....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Gardening”