Looking for Iris Flowers - Renfrew to Kanata Area

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Tue May 31, 2016 12:20 pm

Hello Folks,

If anyone is splitting their Iris' and looking to re-home I am interested. We are planting a side hill with flowers so I can stop mowing it and hopefully add some deep roots to prevent erosion.

I can swap cuttings of Gooseberry (Wild or Domestic), Jostaberry, Red currants....or a few wild leeks, although they are near the end of their season....transplanting them should be ok still.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:29 pm

You may not want Irises to naturalize to keep out grass, the roots aren't deep enough and the foliage doesn't provide enough shade to stop grass from growing, also they tend to "migrate".
If you want to stop grass from growing on a partially shaded hill, Lilly of the Valley is very good (somewhat invasive) and
on a sunny hillside Day lilly is excellent for naturalizing, if you stay away from the supper fancy cultivars.
Good luck :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4
Birthday

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:53 pm

I agree with the day lilies. Mine have quickly spread and are glorious.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:55 pm

day lilies for sure!
i'd be more than happy to gift you some irises, but you are a LONG way away! i had so many i planted them at each hydro pole all the way to the road (we have 4 or 5 i think) and they're EVERYWHERE. they don't keep the grass out, but they are taller than the grass when they bloom lol
i'm letting my daylilies fill the front garden. i love them, the hummingbirds and bees love them and they DO crowd out the grass :-) plus you can get them in orange, yellow, just about any combo of red yellow and orange....some purples....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:26 am

I have some purple bi-colour and solid dark purple iris at my old place I will be splitting and moving...if you're coming to the PikNik, you can have a load of them. They're not the tall bearded, or the straggly looking Siberian, but somewhere in between-thick foliage and about 18 inches tall.

Return to “Gardening”