Bay Laurel Tree

SandyM

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 pm

No pepper. Too much humidity is needed. I can't accommodate that in the house in the winter.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:09 pm

Bonsai is a really cool and fulfilling art that I have been interested in ever since I was a kid.

Baron... have you ever done Bonsai? I know it takes a very long time to complete the process but its so worth it!

I really want to do one or better yet they recommend doing a few to compensate for losses.

ahhhh shoot I wish I still had my tea trees and wish i didnt kill them... i started about 30 from seed. went to camp for a bit to long... came home and a whole bunch of the plants I had were dead. i was sooooo sad. I had a bunch of really cool herbal/medicinal exotic trees and shrubs. :-(
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SandyM

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:17 pm

You can do it again Al. Dead plants doesn't mean the death of your hobby.

I need to grow some hibiscus too.

Catnip is an amazing insecticide. I plant throughout veggies and herb gardens and I'm going to plant around the coops this year, or hang in the baskets off the pen. I have dried catnip in my nesting box blend.

I do not have a green thumb and growing is a real challenge for me. I am definitely not a natural. I have so much to learn and it takes patience. That is not my strong point either.

Magic tea: black tea, slice of lemon, a few chunks of ginger and a bay leaf or two. Let steep for 7-8 minutes. O M G soooo good!

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by Brebis » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:39 pm

I have one I got about 6-7 years ago when it was about a foot high...
This is it now. I keep it in a South window and put it outside on the deck in the summer. Really easy to grow. I think Richters has them. I got this from a veg gardener in the County-they have a plant sale every spring.
Attachments
Bay laurel
Bay laurel
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

SandyM

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:56 pm

That's fantastic Brebis. They must taste fantastic!! Does it give off a scent at all?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Brebis wrote:QR_BBPOST I have one I got about 6-7 years ago when it was about a foot high...
This is it now. I keep it in a South window and put it outside on the deck in the summer. Really easy to grow. I think Richters has them. I got this from a veg gardener in the County-they have a plant sale every spring.

Do you ever take it out of the pot and clean up the roots in a bonsai kinda way in order to stop it from growing to big?
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:08 am

Sheesh.....enablers! :farmer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Bobbi
On the Roost

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by Bobbi » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:28 am

I have a bay laurel plant on my kitchen counter planted in a pot. It is doing well. You need looser soil like an orchid type, normal fertilizer treatments and trim to increase growth.

They love light. Mine is next to my kitchen window.

I bought mine at Colasantis.
:broodyhen:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by Brebis » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:54 am

I don't do much with it, I transplant it it to a bigger pot when I think it needs it with a mixed soil, let it dry out between watering and then water it well. I put some compost on it about once a year..
I pinch off the buds at the ends to get it to bush out, but haven't done too good a job of it! It has a growth spirt once or twice a year.
It doesn't smell and I confess I haven't tried any of the leaves yet, but probably will soon. Was letting it get to a decent size first.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

SandyM

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:39 am

OMG! You haven't had any leaves? LOL!! I'm worried about picking it clean. I do that to my basil plants too. Nothing but stems left.

Ok, I don't do fertilizer. I can do egg shells. What's the fertilizer for? Nitrogen?

Return to “Gardening”