Question What is left in your veg garden ?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: What is left in your veg garden ?

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:42 pm

So @ross , while the turkeys roosting in my backyard were somewhat charming for a moment, they are now leaving behind spectacular amount of manure, and this morning, while they were having a morning meeting, assuming they were making their plans for the day, I went out in rubber boots and pajamas and my usual broom (not to travel on) to put forth a suggestion they find another place to roost !!!!
It wasn't met with great enthusiasm, and whilst I tried to herd them in one direction, they all remembered they were birds and lifted and flew over my head in a completely different direction, at which point the crows let it be known, they aren't amused.
I must say those buggers are big, for a moment I though they may be turkey vultures.
So @ross the great "grey hunter" WTH am I supposed to do ???

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:57 am

Ahh Mother Nature till she becomes “ not in my backyard” . Harass with dog/s . Have someone fire off a shotgun to scare away . Make sure no feed around for them . Call a hunter etc . Just make where they are not a nice place . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:17 am

Well, they harvested all the apples, for which I am pretty thankful, but now the food source is gone, it must be time for them to find another roost for the night.
The amount of tar black droppings 20 large turkeys leave under the roost has got to be seen to believed, and the dogs find it very useful all around rubbing compound !!!! :barf:
So last night, I though action was required and when I saw them coming across the field heading for my driveway, I took a broom and chased them across the field in opposite direction....
since I didn't think they would take no for an answer first time around, I sat at the of the driveway with my broom, ready for action, couple of joggers did give me a sideway look ;)
about 1/2 hour later they were coming back again, but it was getting a bit dark, so I proceeded across the field again, thought the flock looked a bit different, before I realized some of it was tails of 6 deer, which I accidentally aded to the turkey flock !!!
Finally the turkeys lifted and flew in different direction and disappeared over bush. I hope they found a new roost, but I will be on guard for a while, unless the men in white coats come to take me away ;)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:27 pm

Good stuff OC.
Did yu use a old style broom or a Swiffer . 🙃
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:25 pm

:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Farrier » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:41 pm

Was out today digging some dirt so a row is ready for peas in the spring. Also moved a few blackberry suckers. Picked a salad of mustard greens, walking onions, oregano, red russian kale and mint. Put a head of garlic in it and grated a carrot, added some goat cheese crumbles, balsamic vinegar and honey. (thanks for the honey WLL) Was pretty good, and no store bought ingredients, except the vinegar and oil.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:40 pm

Nice !
went out to the garden today and all I found was parsley ;)

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:22 pm

We still have some kale plants under a cold frame, and some parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, walking onions, and spinach in an uncovered but mulched bed. The spinach was an experiment this year: it was my first time planting some cool weather veg for a fall crop - and I'll be doing it again next year. Spinach is such an easy green, and we've been harvesting outer leaves from it regularly, as well as from kale and chard, so the chickens and quail have had pretty regular treats.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:27 am

Wow, @Jaye that is incredibly ambitious fall effort, when did you plant the spinach ?
Looking at price of lettuce I wish I had done that.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:27 am
Wow, @Jaye that is incredibly ambitious fall effort, when did you plant the spinach ?
Looking at price of lettuce I wish I had done that.
I started the spinach plants indoors in July/August (too hot to start them outside) and planted them out either at the end of August or first week of September I think.
And yes, I hear you on the lettuce ... wish I'd started some romaine too. Have you seen any less expensive than $5.98 a head?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Gardening”