Garden Diaries, 2020

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Garden Diaries, 2020

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:26 am

Jaye wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:38 pm
Awesome! I have a great red cabbage and prune (or what ever is your preferred dried fruit) salad, if you're interested. I have never been able to successfully grow cabbage, so have always had to buy a head. Kudos to you for perservering!
I think we may want to try a cabbage recipe thread in the fall;)

It wasn't the cabbage that made me persevered as much as the actual taste of the organic one I got in Perth, the difference was remarkable, it had so much flavor and I don't even have the word for it, sweet I think and delicate without the "cabbagy" taste. Might have been the variety and I might not have grown the same, but I simply had to try.
The fact that there are actual heads forming is some kind of magic to me :)

Last year was the winter of butternut squash, this year may be the winter of red cabbage.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:29 am

And you turned down our home grown cabbage! Told you it was different.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:51 am

I planted a few cabbage (i find a little goes a long way as i'm not a fan, but DH loves it). The rutabagas went nuts with leaves and buried the cabbage, and I guess I either totally forgot it was there, or selective memoried that it was there, whichever. Whatever, so i checked yesterday evening after being on here (jarred the memory of starting and planting) and viola! i too will likely be eating cabbage for MONTHS. LOL. the darned rutabagas look like they're pushing 5 pounds each. easily!
finally ate the very last watermelon. it was soooo good. these were small variety watermelons, and only 2-3 pounds. just perfect for 2 people in one day without going squishy. there were new flowers coming so i need to check if there will be a late crop. Having 2 beehives has completely changed the yields in the garden this year!
My second and third crop broccoli are both maturing at the same time. go figure. cauliflower is a little slower. peas are abounding now that i replanted and moved them to a different spot in the garden. apparently they like FULL sun....not partial shade. okay. whatever. Tomatoes out the whazoo. ketchup making time. tomato paste/sauce making time!
AND, i discovered a terrible fact. I can no longer dry tarragon in the house in the dehydrator. I LOVE tarragon. this year the sneezing and coughing was horrible! so i'll have to move the dehydrator outside next time. i dried up all the plants and have tarragon to last a lifetime, so i might not even plant it next year. it keeps amazingly well....
Next up is parsley, mint, chives (yes, i dehydrate chives too), basil and thyme and oregano.
We are going to put in another garden specifically for irises and russian sage. I weakened and got sucked in by a shale with a promise of 150$ off and free shipping.....of course one had to order over 300$...and well....there will be new cultivers in my garden next year. I HAD to get some spring flowers for the bees you see....crocusses and hyacinths...and the irises were so pretty on the next page in the catalogue, and well, then i realized that all my daylilies are either orange or yellow. lemon lilies or ditch lilies. so. need some variety there. and of course daffodils...and tulips....so. it's not really my fault.
okay, my name is WLLady and I have a problem. or ten. HAHA
Still have half a 50 foot row of beans to pick and blanch. but for sure now i have to clean out the freezers in order to make everything fit. One of the problems is a meat chicken in there (round and doesn't stack well) so maybe we'll rotisserie for dinner.
plus i also seem to have beehive brood frames in the freezer for some odd purpose....Maybe i'll just build in a slot for those to stand up when DH needs to put frames in there (apparently it's mite control...put in brood frames, let the bees fill with eggs and cap and the mites go in with the brood eggs and then freezing the frame kills the mites and their eggs and the brood, but one frame of brood won't hurt the hive...). Sweet corn will need to go into the freezer soon too (cut off the cobs). The birds found some and so i'll have to just sacrifice a few cobs. Next year, mental note to self, ducks are tall enough to reach the cobs and pull them down for the chickens....FENCING required....because the ducks breed like rabbits and there's no way to never have any ducks every again because they're a self renewing resource from february through november.....
can't wait to get dirt under my fingernails again. love the end of summer and harvest season. strangely somehow i don't mind being covered in dirt and eviscerating tomatoes....not sure what that says about me....hm....happy gardening everyone!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:32 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:29 am
And you turned down our home grown cabbage! Told you it was different.
I would have never turned down red cabbage from you :) must have been green?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:59 am

Oh yes!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:52 pm

I am afraid green cabbage has been forever ruined for me by the overcooked mess served in my childhood.
Red cabbage being previously unknown, I am happy to eat raw or possibly sauted served with roasted duck...
drooling now ;)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Just got in from the garden. Lots of weeds and grass pulling, over the fence to the goats. Coons got my corn a while back. Squash setting around and about. Garlic and onions are done and drying. Sweet potatoes vining all over the place. Wonderful heavy crop of blackberries ripening. Been making jam. I seem to probably have a good parsnip patch this year, thanks TomK. Potato tops all dying down, I wont dig til end of august or so, not a great crop this year as I did not keep them as well watered early as I should have.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Farrier1987 When did you start your parsnips? I'm thinking of growing them next year.

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:52 am

First yellow cherry tomatoes , Esterina hybrid yesterday for lunch, may be just a little too sweet for my taste but happy anyway,
cucumbers are finishing way too fast, a limit on how many we and the chickens can use.
Puppy very helpful in the garden, accept for the part when I bend over and it turns out that she finds my hair a great toy.
Hard to tell which one of us was dirtier by 8am :)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:04 am

labradors wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 pm
Farrier1987 When did you start your parsnips? I'm thinking of growing them next year.

Linda
Started them early to mid May. Look back on this thread, TomK gave some great advice, I have never been able to grow them before, didnt germinate.

Blackberries going ctazy here, making jam every second day, about 6 pints each batch. My cabbages all split.

Has anyone ever planted peas this time of year? Thinking about it as I have heard you can get a second crop.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Gardening”