How does your garden NOT grow?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: How does your garden NOT grow?

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am

I suppose the fact we aren't harvesting any baby skunks is a good news ;)
Tomatoes are starting to come to life, had some Sweet 1000 or is it a million now? for a few days now, rest as green as anything, cucumbers growing now, but very low yield, most of lettuce bolted, potato tops look good, had some the deer dug out pretty small yet and Zucchini / pumpkins / gourds all leaf and bloom and no fruit, carrots pathetic and frankly afraid to look at garlic, the soil too wet to harvest anyway, but tops starting to yellow, so will have to bite the bullet eventually.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Our garlic is small because hubby took it out early due to wetness.
Tomatoes are late - cool start, and they like warm feet.
Eggplant - like the heat, but (big oops) get shaded by the corn.
Did/doing really well - sugar snap peas, Swiss chard, beets, kale, zucchini, squash, sugar pumpkins, onions, yellow beans, green beans (yeah!), French green beans (long & skinny), corn, potatoes.
With our 3 types of kale, and thinning them out, I learned more about how they grow. All need to be thinned after planting. One type just likes a lot of elbow room or its new, centre leaves start to get gnarly. Another type needs room and harvested with its lower leaves first, otherwise it gets suckers, like tomatoes. The third kind, scarlet/purple kale, was purchased as plants and, therefore, already planted with room to grow. So, all in all, my kale will have lots of space to grow vertically and become kale "trees".
Last edited by KimChick on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:49 am

well my stunty corn gave me a few little cobs that were so deliciously tasty....and the rest did (wait for it) NOTHING! gah! potatoes are totally ready for harvesting. i'll have to do that in the next few days before the wireworms move in. lots of digging coming up. my garlic turned out respectable, but the soft neck is not going to store at all....i've already found 2 cloves starting to go. sigh. too much water this year i guess. my zucchinis took a major hit from the squash bugs this year. i think i have 3 plants still standing and we are desperately short on pollinators this year (the local hive guy didn't put any hives out this year). i've seen maybe 10 honey bees this whole year! so next year i'm getting a nuc. because.
my beans are truly dead.
my tomatoes are going gangbusters.....and the basil just finally came into it's own, so i smell some brushetta (lots of it) coming up! had some BLTs already, those are amazingly yummy. the next planting of lettuce is doing much worse than the first, because now we have a LACK of water. sigh. and sprinklers and well water are missing whatever is in the rain water....and we haven't HAD any rain lately to catch in to a rain barrel!!!! i do have watermelons though, somehow! and i totally forgot to replant the peas, and didn't even get the carrots in this spring. oh well. big garden overhaul coming this fall after the plants are done. with a 10 level spinal fusion i'm going to go with raised beds. it's just too much to get to the ground that much for the weeding and picking. i might do what ross did and go with containers.....but then i would need TONS of containers. LOL. still trying to decide what to do. this year at the end the entire thing (except the grapes and the asparagus) will be ripped up, cultivated and the raised beds put in. maybe. if i do then i'm putting down drip lines too.
hm.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:10 pm

Got some giant zucchini now :)
Crazy zuchini.jpg

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Something that didn't turn out well is black, cherry tomatoes. The plant is huge and crowding out everything around it even after trimming it twice, the yield is terrible, they are not as good tasting as other varieties and they even seem dry. I will never plant them again. I may even rip it out this weekend. Another thing I find is they fall off as soon as they are ready.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:04 am

I'm not a fan of Black Cherry, even though many rave about the taste. In case I had received some "off" seeds, I tried growing it from seeds that were guaranteed true, but I still wasn't thrilled. Sungold beats it hands down, and is early to boot. Not that I grew SG this year, and all this rain would have caused a lot of split fruit. I quite like a red cherry called Sweet Aperitif, and the yellow elongated Blush is deelish!

Linda

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:40 pm

labradors wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:04 am
I'm not a fan of Black Cherry, even though many rave about the taste. In case I had received some "off" seeds, I tried growing it from seeds that were guaranteed true, but I still wasn't thrilled. Sungold beats it hands down, and is early to boot. Not that I grew SG this year, and all this rain would have caused a lot of split fruit. I quite like a red cherry called Sweet Aperitif, and the yellow elongated Blush is deelish!

Linda

I agree, the taste is not that great. Around here they sell a variety called "sweet gold" cherry tomatoes, they are orange in colour and taste sweet and juicy, now I regret not planting one instead. These black cherries are really late, a lot of green tomatoes still; however my large tomatoes have been producing a lot, so no need for cherry tomatoes now. Sounds like you had the same experience with them, for sure on my not to plant list.

Return to “Gardening”