Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by Maximus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:01 am

How did these work out Al?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by thegawd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 am

epic fail! LOL. they were working but like Robbie said they went all mouldy. I killed the mould with vinagar and consequently most of the plants. I think I tried at the wrong time of year and could do things different. im going to try again but with fresh twigs that are new growth and not budding...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by shaded » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:44 pm

muffin wrote:QR_BBPOST Should work, I have done it before. Will be doing our Wolf River apple and Snow apple any day now, before the trees die of old age...at 100+ years could be any day!
i haven't had a wolf river apple in about 10 years-they are monster apples-one makes a whole pie lol. Snow apples and Thomlin Sweets were my grandma's favourites, and Transparents. I have 1 TS tree left in my orchard-deer were terrible before we got the GSD and killed much of the orchard. Our old house had a huge pear tree -totally inedible raw but awesome for canning-stayed whole. I''m going to try your trick and go back and see if they'll let me cut some pieces. Same for the damson plum trees from there~!
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by WLLady » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:43 pm

a few of mine are trying to leaf out finally....i planted them up into pots are they're sitting outside getting watered every day.....nothing rotting, nothing moulding and nothing doing much of anything LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by thegawd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Excellent Kathy!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by WLLady » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:38 am

i think some of them might be ready to plant in about 2020....lol. I think i'm just going to buy some....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by Maximus » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:50 am

I REALLY want to put some fruit trees in. Preferably pear, Apple and cherry. I am not sure I have the best landscape for fruit trees but I'm hoping I can bend the rules a bit.

Is there a way to know what would grow best in my area?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:15 am

So what are your concerns? Soil type or ph? You're the same gardening zone as Niagara so you should be able to grow anything!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Maximus

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by Maximus » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:23 am

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST So what are your concerns? Soil type or ph? You're the same gardening zone as Niagara so you should be able to grow anything!
pH. Moisture. Bugs.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Cloning Fruit Trees

Post by thegawd » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:06 am

Kathy what trees did you clone? do you want to sell some?
WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST i think some of them might be ready to plant in about 2020....lol. I think i'm just going to buy some....
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Gardening”