Feral pigeon pest control hunt

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:05 am

Goin on a barnyard / feedlot type feral pigeon pest control shoot on wknd . Shotgun on the wing &/or pellet rifles . Decoy setup , retriever dogs ,blinds . Organized by a guy from London & 1/2 doz folks . Sounds interesting & some fresh breast meat no limits .Only 1/2 hr away .
Guess this farmer is just over run /flown with them begging for help . Hope weather don't get to crappy . Gonna use the 12&20 ga . Done it myself around here for farmers but not with a setup organized group . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Pigeon pest control hunt

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:30 am

that sounds like fun Ross! had 3 or 4 sitting up on the barn last week. i grabbed the pellet gun and jumped into stealth mode. crept my way up there. tried to play the heavy wind with my shot and missed. they never came back. hope they got the message but I really wanted to try some pigeon. i see them flying all around everywhere else except here which is a good thing. but I missed. LOL. I think its time to sight that scoop back in, its been a while n I havent hit anything iv shot at in I dont know how long. but then again it might not be the wand haha!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:51 am

That little 20 pump you got with 7 1/2 shot would do good . Practice for doves & duck wing shooting . Let yu know how it goes .

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:48 pm

8 months later....how did it go? lol

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Sorry old timers decease lol Great cleaned them out & had some guys with high powered pellet guns 850-1000 fps took care inside . but now corn harvest on more moved in & have picked up another dairy barn closer by . Thanks for askin . . Luck

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:31 am

Sounds like you need to get the posse back together.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:55 am

Ross, those guns wouldn't harm a tin roof correct? Some buggers got into my barn loft and now they have chicks. I need to stop this fast before I get an unwanted flock, so I will be shooting from inside.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:17 am

SKinny as long as u use the 475-500 fps one should be ok . Go for head shot .850-1000 fps could punch hole unless wood for back stop . luck

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:28 am

We have so many of those danged birds... my son scared them off the barn roof... and they fly around in one group, and he fired the shotgun (don't know my guns... but it sprays pellets), and by firing into the group, would kill 4 or 5 at a time. 3 times of doing that, and the birds flew the other direction. They are some smart. But disgusting dirty birds. I can't walk thru the barn upstairs, without getting poop on, and thats NO lie. Maddening for sure. I pull their nests down inside the barn downstairs... but can't get them upstairs. My son got the pellet gun out one day last summer, and he got 30 birds. He also hit some that flew away, and we retrieved 12 others outside around the barn/yard.

One night about 7 years ago..... I put plastic from the silo up to make a wall, and tied it up with strings. I also holed up fan entrances. Then I pulled a piece of plywood down, that lifts up in the summer for air exchange. That night, we went in there with flashlights and caught 80 birds. It was hell tho... them trying to fly in the dark, and also starlings and other birds would literally hit you in the head/face.

I have also tried to put netting up inside the barn, where they come in from the walkway over the cows from the upstairs. That only worked so far, but I couldn't climb to the very top where there were a few getaway holes. They learn where they are very quickly, when they are being fired at. Caught alot, when they flew into the netting.

They are so many, they land in the cattle feeder and cause diseases like coronavirus's. Just the other day, I pulled 10 fat squabs from the beams, and let the dog take care of them. Amazing how fast they repair a destroyed nest, and get two eggs right back in there. And they breed ALL winter too. Ugh.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:02 pm

SR I have a 22 cal 495fps pellet gun and it wount shoot through steel roofing, it leaves a dent though. I believe the 177 cal may be more accurate but I sure like my 22.

Ross did any of the people you were shooting with use non lead pellets? I was reading about some of them last night and how they can be up to 30% faster. hmmmmm but I did read about how some are just terrible and are not produced very consistently, different sizes and weights. I got my 22 cal dialed right in about 20 yards but unfortunately I have no pigeons around here to shoot. quite surprising really in such a big barn, 1 pair of robins and sheesh 100 pairs of barn swallows.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”