Bill C-246 threatens hunting, trapping, and fishing

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:50 am

Yep, we live in a world where we are kept distracted (on a screen, i thought i was bad with video games but todays kids are worse) and then the special interests take advantage of our complacency. (Hmm thats a word I don't use much, i had to look it up to see if its the right fit). Also comes the unintended consequences.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Guess what your saying is most folks brains have gone to mush . There is an App for that . It's called the OFF button . Lol Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:09 pm

I learned some card tricks as a kid. Basic princliple: keep talking and have them look at one hand while the other does something.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Just set up my dogloo blind in turkey bush out back . Nice old soft office chair inside hopefully ease the pain of sitting a long time . Getting out early for turkey season to get um used to it . Maybe see coyote on camera out there too before he gets turkeys . Chickens out & about under cedars scratching away getting bugs etc . Luck

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:59 pm

http://www.ifaw.org/canada/get-involved ... nd-sealers

^This petition started making the rounds recently. Seems the animal rights fanatics are looking to make as much progress as they can with the new government.
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:41 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST Thanks Dean. I always value your political insight!

Yup the lack of wording would make killing a mosquito or rodents illegal... rat traps are pretty brutal yet effective killing machines.

Ever more important for the children growing up today to get outdoors, into nature and keep our heritage alive!
Yep, there was a small business that made rat traps: a 10 gallon pail with 5 inches of water: on top a board with bait. When the mouse or rat went to the bait the board tipped down and the critter fell in the water. It was so effective farmers put them in barns and used antifreeze instead of water to eliminate smells. You could order them from a catalog as a kit to fit any pail. The animal rights folks jumped on it as cruel to the critter so it was taken off the market. Now you have to go youtube and see a guy build one so you can copy and build your own.

But you can't buy them, too effective.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:11 am

I think Ross does a similar trap if I recall. When I was having major problems with chipmunks stealing feed it was suggested. Until I learned that they were endangered or threatened. Hard to believe because I am overhwlemed with chipmunks. Cute and all, but there isn't one vehicle that sits for more than 12 hours that isn't packed with nuts under the hood, our heavy equipment is constantly packed with acorns and chicken feed, so packed they run out of space and just use the middle of the seat lol. But they don't chew electrical wires and don't make a nasty smelling nest like mice do. For some reason they love F150's. Lou's son drives a Ford and he Will leave it here for the day while he takes a heavy duty truck, (because a Ford can't tow HAHAHA! Sorry couldn't resist), or he is just here for dinner and you can see them run in and out like assembly lines of his truck.

Chipmunks are professional chicken feed thieves.

So I can't purposely kill them, they are cute but a nuisance and morally I just can't add to their decline and they don't pose a threat to my flock. But I can make it more difficult for them to help themselves with feed. 2 cats added to the backyard. They Have done WONDERS!

So I wonder why I went down this road with a big long story. Another ramble by me! I'm good that way.

Cheers

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:16 am

My homemade rat / mouse water trap . Butter / jam whatever on the wheel . 1/2 full water . I call it sustainable mfg .
Attachments
image.jpeg

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:28 am

Well I dont think they are on the list of thing you cant kill in protecting of livestock and property but im guna check that next.

for them to be protected in Ontario is STUPID. they are listed as least concern which means the population has been studied and deamed no major threats. Sooooo the only reason they are protected here is because they are cute. some people think rats are cute too. heck i used to and had kept a breeding colony for many years. I even had hairless ones. now they were cute in my eyes and the nastiest thing to most people. rats are not protected.

endangered species list.
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/42583/0

Ontario Hunters Education Program's definitions.

http://www.ohep.net/Info.cfm?ID=2
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:42 am

here is the law on protecting of property in Ontario

https://www.ontario.ca/page/harass-capt ... e-property

Ontario Federation of Agriculture, Nuisance Animals.

http://ofa.on.ca/issues/fact-sheet/Nuis ... armers-do-

You can't touch animals on the Ontario Species at Risk list. Chipmunks are not on it. So why is it listed in the definitions? they cant be hunted as sport but they can be killed in defence of livestock or property.

Ontario Species at Risk.

https://www.ontario.ca/environment-and- ... tario-list
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”