Question Pigeon ( rock dove ) hunting near Ottawa

Moerab613
Newly Hatched Chick

Pigeon ( rock dove ) hunting near Ottawa

Post by Moerab613 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Hello.

Here from Ottawa, new to this page, also new to hunting.

Before i got my hunting small game license, i always thought it would be simple to find places to get out and hunt for pigeons.. so far looking complicated than i thought!

I looked up crown land, found few spots but never got lucky, i noticed they more in farm land all over barns and corn fields, but these lands are private, im not sure if going up to a farmers door and ask permission would be appropriate?

Is there chances i could get some ideas, or insights on where about i could go out for a hunt? If i had to drive outside the city i am able too, i have a 12ga and an air rifle, shoots 500 feet per second, not sure if that's powerful enough or no, i could also use anybody expertise in that too please.

Thank you in advance!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Pigeon ( rock dove ) hunting near Ottawa

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:19 am

Hi there.
We have a few people here that hunt pigeon and may be able to give advice. @WLLady and @ross but they are in the SW of the Province. Hope somebody local to you can help.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:13 am

Go to farmers with barns especially old & ask permission. 12ga good on fly 6 or 7 shot size . Pattern your barrel to save meat . The pellet is good for stationary birds but in10-20 ft range
Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Moerab613
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Moerab613 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:35 am

Thank you so much for taking the time and answering my question guys.

I will definitely keep that in mind ross

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:35 am

Those old barns can handle the shot-if it's a metal clad uninsulated barn you'll be restricted to your pellet gun so as not to blow any holes through the metal. Even the .22 bird shot will punch that metal.....I sometimes get mad at the sheer number of sparrows and starlings (especially starlings...messy creatures) in my metal barn and use a pump air pellet gun so i can adjust the speed of the pellet so not to punch holes in the barn. It's pretty efficient really. But yes-go and knock on doors or leave a note in the mailbox for folks and then follow up on the notes. A lot of farmers are happy for the help with the pests (and if you will shoot rats too-well....that's a bonus)! @Bayvistafarm might also have some pointers-i know she has pigeon issues, but her son drives the gun LOL. As an owner of a farm I appreciate the people that come and ask, and then help out on the farm too if we need it. We have a group that deer hunts our land, and they help us with the odd tree, or cleaning up garbage and stuff if we just can't get a job done ourselves. It's a tough job finding the places, but if you keep at it, be polite, do NOT show up with your gun.....just pop in and ask permission without the camo and firearms! really gets us when people climb out of the truck hauling their gun "um....i seen a deer back there last night, can i go and see if i can get one right now?".....like...um...NO. Take the time first to talk with people. you'll be knocking on a lot of doors....be polite, be yourself, and if you get a weird feeling from the farmer make sure you watch out for you too-you sure don't want someone claiming you shot holes in their barn when you didn't! If you are a member of OFAH sometimes that helps too because it gives you some liability insurance as well. And if you do find a place, make sure that you have written permission to be there (nosey neighbours do call the police in the country too) and also lay out in writing expectations-like you won't shoot the 12g but will only use the air rifle, whatever......make sure you both sign and agree to it. Then it's legally binding to cover your butt AND the landowners.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Moerab613
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Moerab613 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:40 am

Wow, thank you so much for that. I could never approach a persons home with my gun! Lol that's so wrong in many levels, but everything els i will definitely take it in consideration, thank you for that.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:30 am

Welcome to the forum @Moerab613
I live west of Ottawa and your post made me realize that the pigeons we used to see flying from neighbors barn haven't been around for maybe 5 years, which makes me wonder a bit if there aren't that many around anymore ?

Moerab613
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Moerab613 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:56 am

@Ontario Chick im not too sure actually, i know in barrhaven i use to see tons, i feel like not as much these days, but other places west i always see bunch

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:59 pm

Some Moved to cities where feed & safety is much better . Also seeing no limit or season on feral pigeons & tasty breast meat hunters are pursuing them more today than in past
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:33 am

We also see more hawks and owls then we did in the past, although hard to say if there is a connection there.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”