Me an the boys got into a rumble

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Me an the boys got into a rumble

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:09 am

Me an mine are all vaccinated, thought I think we are all retarded because of it. I read on the internet that vaccinations cause that. If it got on the internet, then it got to be true.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:28 pm

What an adventure! Not something I would relish, either. Good dogs!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:05 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:09 am
Me an mine are all vaccinated, thought I think we are all retarded because of it. I read on the internet that vaccinations cause that. If it got on the internet, then it got to be true.
Oh my you are so right if its on the internet it must be true! Perhaps thats why I didn't notice a coon living with my silkies.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:08 pm

And again today, the next day. Another coon. Patches of hair missing, mangy, and I am guessing distemper. It just sort of waited there wile I came up hacked with a stick. We moved here 8 yrs ago from Alberta, and up til this year, I think I had been forced to dispatch two or three. And this year, seems like every week or so.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:12 pm

Possums here ...this year
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 pm

And another coon dispatched today. Middle of the day. Middle of the yard. Kind of stupid, rooster called the alarm, then the dogs got in on it. Then the fool thing let me walk up to it wif a nasty stick and lets me swack it a good one, enough to send it to a better place. Sick, I am pretty sure, no mangy spots showing. I have never had a year like this. I do know I enjoy it less every time.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 am

There's a huge number of distempered animals this year....it's been bad! we have a den of foxes in the area so i think that's why we haven't seen as many coons this year, but quite a few people i hear having huge problems with them. one year we had a family-at least 6-that all had distemper and/or mange and they were dispatched in the fall when looking for places for the winter-i'm sure the one came and the others followed the trail the first made.....got tedious after a while. just go out in the morning and check the barn and stalls and around the back of the coop with the .22LR. no point making the trip twice to get the gun....this year has not been bad at all, had a fox in the fall, but haven't seen any coons (have a skunk over in the woods-but as long as she stays there it's all good)....YET
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Mfrase27
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mfrase27 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:16 am

My dogs found a raccoon with distemper at the farm about 2 weeks ago. I didn’t know what was wrong with it, but it’s eyes were completely closed with white gunk. My dad said distemper and he was right. Dogs were fine, thankfully.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 am

Had a coon here with distemper as well. I wonder why so many with distemper.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:40 am

too many of them in the population means it spreads fast....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”