Me an the boys got into a rumble

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Me an the boys got into a rumble

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:52 pm

This morning I am on the phone. Talking to an old friend that is 95. Best horseman I was ever around. I had sent him some pictures of goats and chickens and my mini horse and my falcon.

While I am on the phone, the dogs start barking. They bark at squirrels and just for amusement. But this was serious barking; but I am not going to hang up on my old friend. So as soon as I reasonably can, I go out and the dogs are by the fence to the chicken/barn yard just going crazy. The neighbor told me a couple days ago that he saw a pair of foxes, and I thought it was probably that.

So I open the gate out of the yard into the vacant lot next door, and the dogs are off and I follow them. I expect them to head across that lot and over the bank. But no! To the back gate or the barnyard. And under into the barnyard. And as I arrive, its a circle of two dogs and a coon, going around and around like the Tasmanian devil on the bugs bunny cartoons. There is a broken fence post laying handy. I pick it up and told the dogs to back off. Amazingly, they did. (They think I can do anything.) And the coon sort of bunches up in a ball and growls at everyone, and then he got a serious migrane. And the dogs now want to tackle him while he is kicking, but again back off when I told them to.

Took him to the truck and to the natural recycle spot about a km away. Did he ever stink! Not growing up with coons, is that normal? And out in the middle of the day and not making himself scarce with the dogs raising a rumpus and me close by, I don't think he was well, maybe distemper or something.

Anyway, the boys performed well. I washed my hands and gave them each a treat. And there was great rejoicing in the land over our incredible battle and victory. It will be the stuff of fireside reminisces for years, I am sure.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Me an the boys got into a rumble

Post by ross » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 pm

Sounds like he was sick to me .👍
Good dogs 👏
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:22 pm

talk about a "Royal Rumble"!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:24 pm

Good boys!!
Every once in a while, we say, "Gee, I miss my dogs!"

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:17 am

I plan on having dogs until they pry my cold dead hands off them. Or some thing like that. Will teach one to pull me in my wheel chair.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:45 am

We tried being without a dog after our Scooby passed, but that only lasted about a month. :roll:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:44 am

We found the racoons we trapped stank, nasty!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:45 pm

This time of year, after a hard winter....the raccoons tend to be pretty hungry and bold. I figure it is the most dangerous time for them to show up at the coop. Gives our dogs meaning to their lives.... LOL.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:06 pm

We were at it again this morning. Let the boys out about 6 and it was on, right there on the step. Dogs, coon, barkin and bitin and hissin and goin around and around. Called the boys off and put them in. Coon was not well. Wacked him with a stick and went back in to have a coffee. Let the boys out to see their foe dead, and that we were safe. Opened the door and it was on again, dogs, coon, barkin and bitin and hissin and whirlin. I guess I had only rendered Mr. Coon unconscious the first time. Called the boys off and put them in the house. Wack with a stick. Did the job right this time. Blood from the mouth and nose all over the cement. Got an old broom and bucket of water to clean up. Then let the boys out to see the foe was truly vanquished. Put the body in the truck to take out to the field.

Thing about this, I know I did what I needed to and no regrets. But the older I get, the less I like these jobs. Younger days, I relished it. Not any more.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Glad that you are all safe :).

I hope the racoons didn't have rabies and that your dogs are UTD on the rabies vax. Better safe than sorry.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”