Road Kill Deer

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Road Kill Deer

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17 am

So the neighbors a mile or two away phoned just before bedtime, it was 630. They had just hit a deer and wanted to butcher it but didn’t know how. Did I know how and would I come help?

How hard was it hit? The head took out the grill and a headlight. OK, might be some good meat. I went over. A yearling buck. It had been dead over half an hour, but I cut the throat anyway so it might drain some. Skinned around the hocks so we could insert a spreader. Hung it up from a beam in the shop and skinned and gutted it. Almost no sign of being hit. When I got into the chest cavity, some clotted blood chunks were there, so I figured maybe it bled internally. Never got to bed til real late, must have been after 9.

Let it hang over night and cut it the next day. When I got into one haunch, there was blood, some clots and that slimy stuff, but not in the meat, so that got trimmed and into burger, not roasts, checked for bone chips. The femur had been broken, I hadn’t noticed the evening before. Cut some nice chops and a couple roasts, shank and neck for wonderful stews.

These people have goas and are getting a gun license and want to live of the land as much as possible. So as we are winding up, he says “I wonder if I should buy a meat saw?”

I said, “Well, how much butchering are you going to do? A deer or two and four a few goats over a year? Then maybe you should, depends how much you are going to use it.”

“Oh, watching you do this and how complicated it is and the work, we aren’t going to do any butchering.”

So I was telling my hunting buddy in Alberta about this. And he suggested maybe they could save money by just getting a picture of a meat saw. And then a picture of a deer, put them together and it might work just as well.

Good neighbors, but I don’t understand everything about them. No comprendo.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Road Kill Deer

Post by ross » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:20 am

Dreamers ...
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Who's bedtime was it at 6.30? {LOL}

Linda

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:32 pm

roflmbo

Boy, I bet you slept in the next day, maybe even all the way to 5:30 a.m.!!

The very first time I butchered deer, it was roadkill. I had NO idea whatsoever what I was doing, but I got 'er done, and it wasn't complicated. The biggest problem I had, was that I thought the meat should be hung and aged, like beef. I did NOT know that beef is aged in a fridge...so I butchered away and then hung the roasts from a fish string. In my warm garage, in summer. For a week. And then ate it. Nobody got sick, amazingly, and despite a slight odour that I shrugged off as just being game, it actually tasted pretty good! This was before internetz, and I knew nobody with experience that I could ask what to do or how to do it. Up to that point, the only animal I'd ever done was chickens. It makes me shudder in retrospect...I fed half-rotten deer to my kids!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:52 pm

There are dreamers and there are doers, the dreamers make the economy run, for example there is fully furnished woodworking shop in most basements up and down this country road, but not much woodworking done at all, if any.
Jan we should start a "things I fed to my kids before I knew better" thread, we smoked sausages in a chimney of a wood burning stove that tasted sort of funny, years later I learned the name of it was creosote, but nobody got sick, and I never told them ;)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm

I hope you got at least half considering all the work you did and keeping you up half the night!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm

In UK rotting pheasant is a delicacy, only a coolish place is involved not a fridge. It is very good! That venison should be super, I got a button buck one year and it was the best!
OC in Norway they hang lamb to cure in the chimney over the winter. My friend brought some into work and it was yummy.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 pm

I guess in Norway they use dry wood :)

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3