finally!!!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

finally!!!

Post by WLLady » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am

15 dead chickens. 2 tins of catfood. 1 tail ripped off a turkey and 1 neighbourhood cat later....5 sleepless nights
and twice out in PJs with a gun while mayhem in the coop was happening. one destroyed coop screen door....i just hope there arent any more...yes i am tanning the pelt.
20181007_073448.jpg
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: finally!!!

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:19 am

Wow! That's a lot of destruction for one little fox! Nice work catching it.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:25 am

we have been chasing it for about 3 weeks....very very destructive. and it also had no fear of people and tried to attack me when i pulled the cage out from between the coops. if it had just chased off and stayed away like our resident female coyote i would have peacefully coexisted.....sigh. i think they are beautiful critters. awesome rat and mouse control...but go after my birds and the gloves come off....it was actually jumping through the screen door...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Poor thing , looks pretty skinny to have done all that, must be something the matter with it.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Wow! We surprisingly don't have any foxes. We have lots of coyctoe, fishers,,hawks and owls. I loose birds to other winged creatures and not 4 legged ones.
Great you got him.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:21 pm

So you will relocate it to your living room wall?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:37 am

either the wall in the hallway upstairs or bedroom floor. its already in tanning. and it was super skinny....definitely hungry.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:05 am

Likely wouldn't have made it through winter.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 am

I would expect a wild critter to contain worms or parasites.

Nice catch!

And to think the red fox is not native to North America, the Brits introduced them as they thought non of the native animals was “sporting” to hunt.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 pm

yeah, while i was preparing the hide for tanning i noticed quite a few little round worms under the skin (yes, i wear gloves when doing things like this). so likely it was starving because of parasite load. it was only about 6-7 pounds to carry, i have 2 cats smaller and heavier than this thing was. I doubt it would have made it through winter too. amazingly no fleas/mites/mange, usually when they carry parasite load like that they get mange very quickly. anyways, definitely hungry-and it managed to mangle a hook for the bait so badly i needed DH to find some pliers and manhandle it so we could hang the next bait! traps are set, but we weren't hit last night at all (nice and peaceful actually!) and we did incinerate the carcass just in case. don't need my critters getting anything like that. i did read the foxes can get leptospiroses and trichinosis, and that's what this reminded me of was trichinosis that we see in bears.....anyways, tomorrow i'll call for the requisite permits once the MNRF office opens, even though there's year round season on red fox here. the hide is tanning up nicely, looks great today. figure it'll take about 2 weeks before i'm all finished with it. 5 or so days in alum/salt, a few to dry and then a few more for the oiling and breaking/softening.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”