Re: finally!!!

Post by kenya » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Show us pictures of the final product.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:45 am

yay! just got off the phone with the MNR. wow, things have changed in the last 10 years. last time i wanted to do this there were 3 forms and a royalty. just in case anyone wants to know or is interested-if you kill a predator in protection of property or as a small games hunter you go online and register for a one-key account, and then log in and select the natural resources individual section, and then register it all online! and there's no royalty payable now if it's for your own purposes. you cannot sell or give away that pelt, but the notice of possession is sufficient for tanning it yourself. if you send to another tanner then the other tanner has to submit a transfer and notice, but the tanner does that. if the tanning goes out of province there's cites license, but since i'm doing my own and keeping it here for myself, the notice of possession is sufficient! royalty is paid now if the fur is sold for instance under the authority of a small games license or a trapper, and the seller (licensed) collects the royalty and remits it. it's so much easier now!!!! just go online and register! also, if you have received a taxidermy piece or whatever of specific wildlife (say your granddad gives you a stuffed bear) then the registration process is the same! AND you don't technically need to do a possession permit if there's no closed season on the animal-but if you move to an area with a closed season you need to then file a possession application. AND if you are hunter and used your small games license to harvest and there's no closed season it doesn't even need to be reported-although if keeping for my own use i would still register it so it's done and if the MNR ever checks it's all above board and i don't have to prove hunting seasons here. and the application seriously takes at most 5 minutes online.
when i called to ask about the tanning and royalty she asked me why i was keeping it...i said because it ate my chickens. she laughed, and said "that's fair". just glad i can keep it and it doesn't go to waste. it's looking good in the tanning solution this morning, a little bit of hair came out but i think it's mostly from the edges (usually happens). for sure i'll post a photo of the after it's done. the during photos can be a little yucky LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Wow I didn't know you had to get a licence for all that stuff. Did you keep the tail to tan or can you do that?

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 am

I HAVE THE - UM CAPS LOCK....sorry....i have the entire thing! i managed to skin the tail out all the way to the end without damaging it! i was super super careful....i will have a pile of burrs to remove LOL. but that will be easier once i'm washing it with soap-makes the hair a bit slippery and i can comb out the burrs easier. so it soaks in salt and alum powder solution for 5 days or so. then gets taken out and rinsed in cold water, then washed in dish soap and cold water, and then nailed to a piece of plywood to dry (and it will try to shrink like crazy). once it's totally dry then i use warm water and get the skin damp and then microwave my neets foot oil and rub it into the skin side until it won't take any more oil. then let it dry again, and do that again, usually for 4-5 days. then the pelt gets "broken" or run over the edge of a 2x4 or 2x6 on the skin side until it's flexible again. then more warm neets foot oil....and keep repeating that until the pelt stays nice and flexible again. so all in all 2-3 weeks or so....i'll try to take some photos along the way once the alum-salt soak is done....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am

fox pelt tanned.jpg
alright, the finished (almost) pelt. I am going to hang this one on the wall, as opposed to on the floor because the fur is actually quite thin. This poor thing was definitely not ready for winter. but it turned out beautifully! not sure what is up with the colour, but it's a wonderful rich red....i think my flash washed it out a bit. anyways...there we go!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:21 am

Well done!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:45 pm

fox pelt tanned 2.jpg
this one is a little more true to colour.....

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. The finished product looks good, though.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Nice Kathy
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:23 am

I see a lovely set of ear muffs in there :-)

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”