Discharge a firearm after dark

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Discharge a firearm after dark

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Hello, Can a farmer discharge a firearm for livestock protection after dark? I have been searching online to find the answer but can only find that I can have the firearm at the ready. 40 chickens dead in 14 days there is a fox or two that need to go,!

kenya
Henny Penny

Re: Discharge a firearm after dark

Post by kenya » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Are you sure its a fox? In my area the fox attack in daylight.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Look as predator is on your land WC . Tape a small flashlight on the end of barrel on rifle or shotgun . When u see the eyes light up BANG .As long as ok to shoot a fire arm in your area . Luck
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by ross on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Yes it is a fox have watched it jump in and out of the chicken coop, roams around the marina and the tourists think it and it's family are so cute. Thanks Ross, we have the help of the yard light right over the coop but every bit helps. I have my Father's .28 gauge Cooey at the ready.

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:35 pm

I should clarify hubby is the one with the licence and has been on day shift this week. we also live in crazy wine tourist area and people are coming and going from are farm stand all day long.

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Oddly enough just sitting here by the window and have heard several shots fired from up the road...hopefully my problem has been solved!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:22 pm

yep, its legal. “hunting” not legal after sundown, calling predators and shooting at night legal in some spots. protecting your livestock is legal anytime.

animals that hunt at night have eyesight that sees in the ultraviolet (colours of the rainbow - violet (above violet) at one end, red at the other) so they see a “glow” from any white clothing and certain other fabrics. as a result they are colour blind and do not see red. so you can light up your yard with red lights or get a red filter for your flashlight (hunting lights sometimes come with red filters). animals think they are in the “dark” and yet you will see them clearly for a good shot.
Last edited by baronrenfrew on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:59 pm

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/polic ... p.html#srp

regular LED lamps with a red filter may not work well as LED’s emit very little light in the red spectrum so a red filter would block most of the light.

red lights are the tool of choice when “hunting” at night for nightcrawlers (worms) for fishing.

tactical and police flash lights (the one above comes with a red bulb) are the best. the best “attach to your gun” lamp is a Surefire (when you shoot a machine gun the recoil will damage cheaper lights) but at $100 USD or more they are for serious lighting needs. their website is full of stories how the light “saved their life” (one guy was in Africa and was surrounded by hyenas and they backed off from the burning intensity of this light) , or people that had the light run over by vehicles and the light was undamaged. their lights are available in “self defense” versions that have jagged ends to cause damage (thrust and twist) and videos are available how to fight with them. (a little too much info maybe, but pretty cool stuff).

a Surefire is on my list to buy someday I have money to burn.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:37 pm

went out with the dogs at about 11pm and the fox was in the chicken yard jumped out looked right at the dogs and then fled. Set the traps and caught two coons and released them into the after life this morning.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:16 am

I hope you get it soon @WaupoosCowgirl . As much as I love to see them, once they cross the line they’re gone.

I’ve lost several this summer, one silly Broody in an open part of the barn and a couple of others that just disappeared during the day. I’m assuming a fox but haven’t seen it. The owner had a border collie up until this spring and I think that’s why we’re having trouble this year as we’ve not had a problem there before. He traps racoons all the time but this seems different.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”