air rifle

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

air rifle

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:52 am

well, who'd have thought. friday last week i bought a crossman 760 variable pump air rifle for under 100$ at TSC.....lol. pretty decent! came with a "kit" so, some bbs some pellets....so spent the weekend trying it out, and holy it works great! took maybe 3 minutes to sight it in for 4 pumps and enough velocity to go the length of my barn without punching holes in the metal! and within an hour i had ZERO starlings and sparrows left in the barn! and yesterday there were only maybe 10 hanging out and those vamoosed awfully fast when i walked into the barn. it's a great start! so, had too much fun though, so i'll have to go and buy some more pellets....um....lol.

my 22 - even with the shot shells for birds/rats had too much power and could punch the steel....and i didn't put this barn up to keep my hay dry just to punch holes in it!

anyways, for a beginner air rifle i really like that i can adjust the power by how many times i pump it, it doesn't take co2 cartridges (it's all muscle power), it's easy to pump, easy to load and my back appreciates zero recoil! LOL.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

JP*
On the Roost

Re: air rifle

Post by JP* » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:48 am

That is great! Now the varmints will be making themselves scarce when they hear the door to the house open up. lol

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks for the review. Saw it in the flyer and wondered if it would do the job. Like you, I can't stand the thought of holes in the steel, and those sparrows have got to go.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 am

Yep Kathy here's the one I use from TSC . Great little rifle . Mice , pigeons , birds & squirrels also use it to teach my young grandkids respect & proper handling of firearm & target shooting before moving up to .22 as they get older & gain more experience .
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 am

ah it is amazing.....i might end up getting a second for my hubby :-) the barn has so much less poop being generated! there's still a few die hard sparrows, but they vacate so fast when we walk into the barn it's good. so this weekend when the weather starts getting a bit warmer i'm going to start on the wire over the ends where they come in through the gaps in the soffit/fascia runs, and that way they don't have a hiding spot anymore, and in the hole in the peak, and put wire over the one vent they figured out how to fly down. that should hopefully help as well.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 pm

I think air rifles are awesome! No more pooping on my head!

Yes I bagged this one today, the great hunter that I am, to be honest I don't like to do it but I think it was going to attack!
It was him or me!
It was him or me!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:41 pm

Breast meat is good bbqd . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:11 pm

I must say I am seriously tempted.
Had a young raccoon staring at me thru the dining room window 9pm last night, from midway up a maple tree, possibly after the bird feeder.
Drove the dog absolutely batty and I had nothing handy accept bunch of golf balls, which only sent him higher up the tree.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 pm

The paintball gun would be better with something that size, it'll give him a good whack.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 am

i don't think i would use a pellet gun on a coon, they have thick pelts and would likely not even feel it. a 22 is way better for coons.....

i'm up to at least 10 starlings culled and several sparrows. funny, they're all males.....and the barn is ready to pressure wash - this weekend if it's warm enough - to get the bird poop off it-hubby helped me wire the eaves on the one side and now they have figured out there's nowhere to hide if they fly in, so they seem to be learning. now to get them out from under the lid of the propane tank (that's easy, leave the lid open for a few days so the cat get reach it) and make sure they aren't under the hoods of the vehicles (been there done that, cooked a batch of eggs one year driving to town). neighbours tractor lit on fire a couple years back from a starling nest on the turbocharger....those things will nest anywhere!!!! disgusting poop generating machines!

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”