Mink medicine.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Mink medicine.

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:41 am

Mink are bloodthirsty, and likely you will have to trap him. Conibear or live trap. You can try smelly fish for bait, but much more important is where the trap is placed. If you can find what he is using for a trail on a regular basis, place the conibear trap there. I like the conibear as it is a killing trap, not a catching trap. The culprit is dispatched if caught, and that is not a joyful job. I am not a fan of relocating, as I have posted before.

Last one I caught, I left the door to the coop open a crack, width of the trap and the trap in that space at floor level, kind of like a small door, on its side, not flat like you think of a trap. If he wanted to get in, he had to go through, and I got him. I think I had the head of a chicken on the trap trigger. Set that one after dark, and retrieve it before light or you might catch a chicken, which sort of defeats the purpose.

The other one that works is a piece of about four inch PVC pipe a couple feet long. Mink are used to going in and out of tunnels, so this doesn't really spook them. You make 2 funnel shapes out of fairly strong wire mesh and insert one in each end and fix it firmly. The small end of the funnel needs to be just big enough for them to squeeze in. Once they are in, hopefully they cant get out the other end because they are going against the flow into the small end of a funnel. Don't clip the inward pointing wires flush, so they poke at him if he is trying to get out. An opened can of stinky sardines within this is good, encourages him to go in and if there needs to be some adjustment to the trap and he has got out, you can tell he was there. This one with the right size mesh can be good for rats too. A bigger one will get coons or possums.

If you catch with the PVC you have to then kill. Rain barrel or exhaust pipe. Careful with hot exhaust and PVC pipe.
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (26.67 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
untitled.png
untitled.png (26.67 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Mink medicine.

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:51 am

Cant find a good picture of exactly what I mean. But these two should convey the general principles of what you are trying to achieve. Also, stovepipe might be better than PVC as they could chew out of the PVC.
Attachments
funnel.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Mink medicine.

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 am

Couple pics of connibear.
Please note, these are strong and meant to kill and can break bones. Just like guns, be darn careful and know where and when they are set.
Attachments
Conibear-trap-catches-12-year-old-in-N_C_-5_4_15.jpg
822708.jpg

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”