Coyotes

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Coyotes

Post by ross » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:53 am

Coyote tracks out behind on frozen swamp . Full moon tonite . No wonder no bunnies . Oops held iPhone wrong .
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: Coyotes

Post by thegawd » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:12 am

heard em howling last night around midnight... far away from me though. a local had told us there is a small pack of wolves around here and thats whats holding down the coyote numbers... I so hope thats true!!! they have lived in the area for a lobg time... still farming the family farm although they now own all the neighboring farms. she said she saw one cross the field heading from bush to bush just last week... but that was across the road north of us. I saw canine tracks back around our bush but none in the bush. around the edge and only 1 or 2 of them...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Gone Country Farms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Gone Country Farms » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:59 am

Seen three yesterday morning at about 600 yards behind my house
mille fluer duccles. Ducks- call, ayelsbury, cayuga, pekin, Rouen, indian runners. Geese- American buff.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:19 pm

Once the wolves chase / kill the coyotes out they will be worse than the coyotes ever were . Everything in moderation even moderation .
Got a pig carcass comin .

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Been hearing them at lot lately our this way. I think they are in heat right now if I am correct?? We have Crown Land one farm over, they love it in there and is where we hear the most activity.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Yep, tis the season for making pups for the yotes. Al, more likely you have brush wolves is your area. We have them here too. They will take down deer and sheep and goats...bigger prey than yotes. They are bigger than yotes by a good 15-20 pounds and do look very wolflike. I have been face to face with a pack or 6 in the past. Nature magazine just published a study saying these are a new species of canid..that carry wolf, coyote and domestic dog genes. Which mean a bigger better hunter with more prey options.

I nearly took out a yote with the truck the other day....just after dark. Beautiful animal....love listening to them (in the distance-not so much so when they are in my horse paddock...)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:25 am

Our eastern coyotes are hybrids that have taken on more of the size and packing up traits of wolves, while remaining bolder and more adaptable like typical coyotes. Through the '90's I did a lot of coyote hunting with good friends of mine who always had a kennel of excellent fox hounds. These guys (a family of a father and his 2 sons who are my age) would average 60- 80 coyotes every winter. There is no doubt in my mind that the average size of the hybrid coyotes in our area has increased appreciably over the years, and the packs of them that remain together throughout the year is also a change in behavior from just a couple decades ago.... This past fall, a lifelong friend of mine took a coyote during deer muzzle loader season. He was so impressed by the size of it that he weighed it and found that it tipped the scale at 63 lbs! That is far from the average size of the original western coyote. Makes sense to me though that year to year, the biggest/ strongest males would do most of the breeding, thereby increasing the average size annually.
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:34 am

Here's one got north A wdstk I think .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 4074 times

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:42 am

ya that makes sense about the timber wolves...

so yesterday while eating supper Allens like theres someone running through the field.... wild turkeys heading for cover... I run out to check things out and hear a shot fired and wonder if this guy is poaching... i could see him dragging something but wasnt sure what. I called my landlord as he has family all around here and could be any of them... Landlord meets him at the road and finds out he had ran down and shot a coyote. man he was sprinting like someone running the 100m dash... with a gun holy crap. but anyways coyote down. landlord thanked him and hopefully that was the one whos tracks I saw around the bush.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 am

Hope this is not too stupid of a question. Don't mind if you laugh at it, but is there a way to tell the difference between coyote/wolf footprints from a dog footprint?

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”