Rat and mouse trap, easy, effective, cheap

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Rat and mouse trap, easy, effective, cheap

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:45 am

This is my home made rat and mouse trap. Can should spin relatively freely, but make hole in can a little off center so it comes to rest in the same place by gravity each time. Smear peanut butter on the can, gobs on the bottom/lower part where it comes to rest. Smear a little up and down the board. Pail 1/3 full of water so they cant get footing to try to crawl out. I have cut the can some times to be able to wedge in half a wiener or piece of bacon, always down.

I know the bunch on this forum are honest and square and level and upright like me. So if you make one of these, please remember I meant to patent it, so send me royalties.
Attachments
trap1.JPG
trap2.JPG
trap3.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Rat and mouse trap, easy, effective, cheap

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:49 am

Oh yeah. Make the wires sort of loosely nailed so you can move it closer or away from the end of the board. There needs to be enough room between for their body to fall through. should be far enough away so they want to walk onto the can to get the bait, but not close enough they can get it and not walk onto the can, they should have to reach but barely be able to touch it and get a taste and want more so they go onto the can. Also be careful where you put it, I lost a chick in one once.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:02 pm

I will try this one out. I didn't have any luck with my previous pail/peanut/popcan trap.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:13 pm

You might be too late, I think ross had it patented few years back.
As a point of interest I tried it when ross posted it and never caught anything that way.
This fall "somebody" forgot to empty a pail used for washing out water dishes, and viola, ( I quote Kathy) two drowned mice in two days, not really a plan as such, but it worked

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Yep done already works great . I just lean a board up with peanut butter at top & on rolling water bottle . Luck
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 am

well, i emptied a stray bucket in the barn that had water in it, no bait, no trap, no pop tin and there had to be 8 mice dead in the bottom of it, so i'm just going to forego the bait till the water is solid.....LOL never thought that would work, but my barn must have stupider mice than normal.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:33 am

Used to catch rats like that at the zoo Kathy . Pick up all waterers overnite & leave 1/2 full pails of water around .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Hate it when they crook in the bigger feed water troughs. But then, as I empty and scrub them out, I can't help but smile at the thought of a couple less in the barn. My grandfather and dad used to leave buckets out and sprinkle a bit of grain on the water surface. I do think the peanut butter idea is more of a guarantee of a result.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Hubby put one of those traps in the garage this summer as the smell of mouse pee was over whelming. They burrowed into his atv seat and ate and peed and peed and ate. After a week he hadn't caught a mouse so he got glue traps ( I hate those things) and put them down. Guess what he caught. Snakes. The garage was infested with snakes that had moved in to eat the mice. They were even up in the rafters. Yep I don't waste time in there now. In and out. If a snake fell on me I'd be committed. I'm still shuddering from that :barf:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Lol happy!

There was a company that sold a mouse trap "kit" for a ten gallon pail. They instructed to put auto coolant in pail: it pickled the mice so no smell. The PETA (ethical treatment for animals) people jumped on it and put the kit out of business and it was "mean" to drown and pickle a mouse.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”