Long post, found the identity of the latest killer today

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Long post, found the identity of the latest killer today

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:15 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 pm
Do you have a dog? I like that they will usually raise the alarm. And if you choose to trap, a conibear beaver size trap baited with 1/4 of a weiner would do it nicely/ Not too much or too big bait, so they have to get right to it and pull/bite. and the conibear is a killer, not a holder. Set it ground level in one of those grass tunnels you talked about. Use heavy wire or dog chain and a stake to secure it so if by chance it doesn't kill, the trap is still there. I bought a conibear for about $4o on line. Search trapper supply. Lots here in Canada, Manitoba and Edmonton as well as others. Try not to catch the neighbor's dog, that can get fussy.
Yes I have 2 dogs...One is aging and hasn't been on guard for predators since he lost his 'backup' last year...Tell'em will kill anything another dog finds first, but he's pretty useless at sensing anything amiss in the first place. The other is a puppy in training and is taking too many cues from the older dog, and doesn't leave the front 5 acres unless I make her.
I don't have wandering neighbourhood dogs at all, well except for that time a beagle broke loose from the guy up the road, looking for some lovin', but that's another story for another day.
Our cat DOES wander back there, and I'd be concerned about him getting caught in a trap...but as cold weather closes in, he will stay closer and closer to home as well.
Still no new missing birds, which is great, but the losses are still burning my biscuits. 19 ducks, 1 mule duck, 3 adult muscovies,, 3 turkeys and 5 chickens so far this year from the coyotes and then this hybrid devil, is the ones I'm sure of because I found what was left.
I'm not big on the kill trap idea, because I'd end up compulsively checking it multiple times a day to make sure nothing was suffering in it, and that would make the coyote dog, who is already steadfastly avoiding being seen/caught (I just got REALLY lucky that day) reluctant to go anywhere near, no matter how yummy the hot dog lol
But kill trapping is definitely in my mind as a plan B, and I'll be digging around online for a good deal as soon as I get 20 minutes at the computer. My phone doesn't like many picture-heavy websites.
I've had a couple people ask me privately why I don't just lock up my birds, and the answer is that my (older) birds, with only a few exceptions, are used to free ranging and get enormously stressed when they can't. If they've been scared by a predator in a field, egg production drops in half for a few days. If I lock them down, egg production drops to almost zero for a month or more. My bantam breeding pen has been locked up all year, because if theres a predator, little guys get picked off first, and I haven't had crap for egg production from them this year, and they have lights. They're not happy, they were used to free ranging too, but until I can build a boatload of tractors, they're stuck in a barn.
My older(standard) birds are older because they're healthy and predator smart, and if I take risk out of the equation, I will get stupid, spoiled, unnaturally kept chickens. I've had hens 12, 13, 16 years old, still laying (even if only a few eggs in the summer), free ranging, and those are the birds I want passing on genes. That's my personal philosophy, and no disrespect at all to those who keep their chickens cooped, I applaud you for keeping your birds safe. You e getting more eggs than I am, no doubt lol

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:17 am

Jan I'm on the TSC email list & everyonce in awhile this coyote trap comes on sale , drastically lower price than regular . Mine is set 24/7 by the barn but haven't caught anything in it since we've been harassing um with lead .My latest dog helps too . Luck
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by ross on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:30 am

I didn't have much time to look, but this ebay link is to the kind of trap you are looking for. Tho I would not buy on ebay, this bunch is overpriced. These are pretty sure killers if placed upright so they have to stick their head in or smaller animals walk through. Mostly if they don't kill, it is because someone set them flat on the ground and they stepped in. They do come in different sizes for different animals. The smaller ones for weasels etc.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Duke-Company-330 ... 0955828930
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Last summer, when my husband was working in the field, getting a fence and gate ready for our heifers, there was a coy-wolf watching him from a distance, on the other side of another field gate. We only found out about this because our neighbour across the field behind us happened to see it.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:27 am

those mixes are something else aren't they? they run in packs down here....i've been face to face with them a couple of times during deer season. the year before my surgery they actually followed stalking me out of the bush across the field....and i had 1 shot with a crossbow....that was a nervous trip for me i'll tell ya. now i will not hesitate to protect myself with my gun. they're big, smart and strong and wild. if you gave it a good scare (which is sounds like you did!) you might have driven it off for a little while....but it will be back. i doubt a trap would work for these, unless a conibear (which i'm very sure is very illegal to use regardless of situation)....which i was closer, i'd stake out in a stand for a few days and see if i couldn't use a 270 deterrent on it....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:41 pm

My understanding is that Jan's pup has matured into a very effective predator control enforcer :)
Just talked to a lady who got one of our pups last year for her farm in northern Ontario. Seems her lgd chased off a bear by itself a few weeks ago!
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Can’t beat a good dog for predator control 2&4 legged types . 😄
Attachments
9DA99B68-0FE9-4AB0-A2AA-5756562BF0BC.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:06 pm

I wouldn't count on my dog for two-legged predator control. She thinks EVERYBODY is her new best friend. But if she sees a critter, anything from groundhog to deer, rat to coyote, I'm pretty sure they can hear her commotion on the ISS. I'm glad she's grown out of her awkwardness: as a gangly adolescent, she'd run faster than her feet could keep up, and end up doing cartwheels down the fields. I swear she's still growing and is bigger every time I look at her, but she's filled out and isn't all legs anymore. We haven't seen any bear sign here, but if we did, I wouldn't put any money on the bear.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”