PKC night hunt

Dominion Link
On the Roost

PKC night hunt

Post by Dominion Link » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Took old Ginny out to the PKC competition hunt last night. Haven't had much time recently to run her and I'm not sure which of us enjoyed it more :) Love the old girl and love running hounds! Attached is just a couple of short clips from heading out to cut the dogs loose and walking into the three dogs treeing on a den tree...

The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

PKC night hunt

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 am

My phone won't let me see the photos, sorry what is a PKC hunt?

Dominion Link
On the Roost

PKC night hunt

Post by Dominion Link » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:53 pm

PKC is the Pro Kennel Club and they have chapters all over the States, as well as a few in Ontario, that host competition coon hunts.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

PKC night hunt

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Love the hound bay!!! Come run some coons here? Lol
We have plenty.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

PKC night hunt

Post by thegawd » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:24 am

Sorry about the delay in uploading to youtube there... That looks like lots of fun Dean! I think my dog thinks so to... she came running into the living room and tilted her head at the tv inquiring into what all the excitement was. :-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Dominion Link
On the Roost

PKC night hunt

Post by Dominion Link » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:59 am

Running coonhounds is a blast Al! The video clips can't really show much because, of course, it's dark out plus I'm only using a cell phone and in the first video I'm trying to walk Ginny into where we were about to cut them loose and she was pulling pretty good. It never gets old hearing the hounds bawl out a locate which eventually leads to chopping at the tree- love it! And with the competition hunts, you're distinguishing between your dog and up to 3 others. Keeping a tab on how far out your dog is and in what direction, as well as what the terrain between you and your dog might be like. When it's windy out, as it was on Saturday night, it makes it more challenging to call your dog accurately as well. Loads of fun regardless. :)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

PKC night hunt

Post by ross » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:32 am

Never did any trial hunting but did a lot of meat/fur hunts in my youth with the hounds . Always fun & exciting times listening to change in tune of baying from tracking to treeing stumbling around in the dark . Nothin like a good hound doin it's job . Thanks for bringing back the memories Dean in those videos . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Skinner
Newly Hatched Chick

PKC night hunt

Post by Skinner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Ginny sounding good Dean!

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Re: PKC night hunt

Post by Dominion Link » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Some rough news regarding Ginny. One morning around the end of May I noticed Ginny not acting herself and then on closer inspection marble sized lumps on either side of her face. Took her to vet thinking maybe she had some sort of infection and unfortunately the vet found lumps everywhere that I hadn't= lymphoma. Started her on steroids right away hoping to give her a decent quality of life for a bit longer. The vet said that she frequently sees dogs get a good 6 months. Sadly that is not going to be the case for Ginny. Her spirits had been good and she'd been drinking lots, but she's been on and off her food this whole time. I've tried changing up food options numerous times, but she hasn't consistently eaten anything. Good for 1-4 days, off for a couple until either hunger and or some concoction I came up with appealed to her. The last couple days though she has lost her enthusiasm and this morning she looked weak. I had hoped to get a good part of the 6 months the vet had said might be possible, and in that time get her eating well enough for a few last runs in the bush. It's tough but I'm going to have to put the old girl down.

A lot of guys have hunted with Ginny over the years and she has long been recognized in our neck of the woods as an excellent coonhound. A treat to handle, a ton of heart, cold nosed and as reliable as you could hope for. Just an absolute sweetheart and she's going to be terribly missed.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: PKC night hunt

Post by Happy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm

:( I'm so very sorry.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”