suffered a loss...

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

suffered a loss...

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Late yesterday afternoon/early night to a raptor of some sort. I was missing a call duck last night and looked around and couldnt find her. She wasnt here this morning either so I had a look around. back behind the rv coop on the edge of the field beside a massive temporary lake I spooked a smallish raptor. Brown n black checkered, I didnt get a good glimpse but I didnt recognize it either, maybe an owl? I dont know, I was just thankful it wasn't the bald eagle.

I found the duck 1/3 consumed, the raptor was small enough that it couldn't carry the call duck away and came back for seconds today.

The ducks were always all over the place, I would catch them flying back in to the run from somewhere landing on the pond just like wild ducks.

Nothing you can do about raptors besides locking the birds up, I'm just curious what it could have possibly been?
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Rooster Rick
On the Roost

suffered a loss...

Post by Rooster Rick » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:17 pm

That's rough! I have a 4 acres pond that I let my call ducks out on.. I'm always terrified of a falcon or hawk grabbing one.. but haven't had this issue... yet!. I'm battling snapping turtles and mink..

Rooster Rick
On the Roost

suffered a loss...

Post by Rooster Rick » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Get your raptors license, get a golden eagle, and every time you see a raptor let the bugger out.. you'll never lose another bird lol

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

suffered a loss...

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:29 pm

A 4 acre pond would be awesome! I have about a 20' x 3'+ pond in my run. Yup not much you can do about raptors, I dont mind loosing a couple birds a year to them as long as its not a habit... much rather not have the other predators around, especially minks!

I do indeed want to become a falconer and get a raptor. Its a tonne of work to get licensed, and rightfully so, one day I will.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Rooster Rick
On the Roost

suffered a loss...

Post by Rooster Rick » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:47 pm

Yeah! I actually had a swan land in my pond last night! I get alot of cool birds landing.. the Canada geese come and have their babies in our field/pond.. yeah I've seen harpy eagles.. pretty awsome.. but pretty terrifying aswell! Don't know if I'd ever want to own one! But a small falcon might be cool if it didn't peck your eye out.

Rooster Rick
On the Roost

suffered a loss...

Post by Rooster Rick » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:48 pm

20170330_185825.jpg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

suffered a loss...

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Pretty annoying, I always worry with any attack that they will come back for more, saw a first hawk yesterday, so that means they are back for another season. :(

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

suffered a loss...

Post by Happy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:36 pm

That's too bad Al. Sorry about your duck. I have a lot of Hawks around me but the very annoying crows that nest in my big pine trees seem to keep them away. The crows and chickens seem to work together and have learned each other's language lol.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

suffered a loss...

Post by ross » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Yep crows are great to harass Hawks , disturb their nests , eat their babies & eggs but if you have free range hens with chicks they will eat their chicks too . For something to live something must die . Sorry for your loss Al, my live traps are keepin busy right now too . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

suffered a loss...

Post by Happy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:40 pm

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Yep crows are great to harass Hawks , disturb their nests , eat their babies & eggs but if you have free range hens with chicks they will eat their chicks too . For something to live something must die . Sorry for your loss Al, my live traps are keepin busy right now too . Luck
I had my two OEGBs free ranging with their tiny chicks in the yard a couple summers ago. I had tried keeping them contained but those mom's were determined and annoying as #?%* when I didn't let them roam. Im not sure if chicks raised by hens are smarter or if game chicks tend to be smarter (probably a little of both) but they had no issues with any predators. One sound from mom sent them running for cover until she gave them the all clear. I'm interested to see how well she does with a bigger/possibly dumber chick. The Cochins aren't exactly wiz kids if you know what I mean!

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”