Stinky alert!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Stinky alert!

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:38 pm

I think I just saw skunkzilla! Something has been digging trenches along the house the last couple of days, so today I noticed them dug out again and when I went to fill them in, right there in daylight was the biggest skunk I have ever seen! I clapped my hands and yelled at it to go, but it looked at me as if to say make me. So on second thought I am just going to stay in the house, he can have the bugs. I don't want to upset a skunk that big, I already learned that lesson! :barf:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Stinky alert!

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Ha! Ha! Skinny I'm disappointed ,wheres the photo?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Stinky alert!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Yeah, noise doesn't work, neither does squirting them with water like a misbehaving cat. I agree, we need pictures!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Stinky alert!

Post by ross » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Moth balls and/ or white spray line just sprinkle on ground under porches etc .WLLadys got a dog that likes to roll on/ in um . Luck lololol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Stinky alert!

Post by WLLady » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:12 pm

oh thanks for the memory ross.
beware, they DO spray when dead.....lol. just in case you decide to dispatch it.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Stinky alert!

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

Skunks... forcing people to learn important life lessons since the dawn of time... dont set live traps inside buildings, especialy your coop. Yup, it really stinks!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Stinky alert!

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:37 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST oh thanks for the memory ross.
beware, they DO spray when dead.....lol. just in case you decide to dispatch it.
I try to follow them until they are far far away from the buildings. We had an absolute plague of them two years ago and I really learned a lot about them, you know once bitten twice shy, well once sprayed, five hundred times shy! The other thing to watch out for is "the cloud" usually after it dies, even if it didn't spray, they sometimes release a cloud into the air, this will surround the area with stink and will soak into your clothes just as bad as being sprayed. I don't hate them, I think they are kind of cute so I try to deter them but sometimes you get a really bold one and it becomes dangerous if you almost step on it every time you go out the door.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Stinky alert!

Post by ross » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:43 am

Had a couple deskuned ones donated at the zoo . Make great little pets like cats . Luck .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Stinky alert!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:02 pm

I caught one accidentally last year in a live trap meant for a coon. Covered the trap with a blanket and managed to wheelbarrow it away from my garden without it spraying, but when I tried to get the door open, she farted just the tiniest bit, enough to remind me that I did NOT want that smell anywhere near me, and I dispatched her. (Yes, it can be done without them spraying, but it's not considered humane. I still feel crappy about it). I then made the mistake of putting it on the manure pile instead of burying it. As it rotted, it released that nauseating strong stench, for months, and I swear I can still smell it out there when the wind is right!
Speaking of pet skunks, years ago there was a breeder near here that sold pet skunks in fancy colours like blue and apricot. I think it was called Freeman's Exotics. I wonder whatever happened to them.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”