Answers: 3

Deer feet :-(

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:19 pm

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:23 pm

from the article WWW posted... definitely diet related, could be just eating to much corn or from hunters feeding the rack stacker as WLL pointed out. I never would have guessed this at all. once this sets in the deer stops walking properly which is why the hooves dont get naturally trimmed.

A deer that exhibits foundering is taking in way too many carbohydrates. Either this is a problem directly related to the forage that the animal is eating or it has to do with the way the deer is processing its food. More often than not, it has to do with what the deer is eating. A diet high in corn or protein pellets contributes to foundering. Corn, of course, is primarily carbohydrates.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Yes, I sure wish that people wouldn't feed the deer, as it does end up causing a lot of problems for everyone including the deer. We know of people who feed them and even in the city of Thunder Bay they are or were quite problematic from people feeding them. I think the city came out with a bylaw against feeding them.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”