Buck down!!!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Buck down!!!

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:04 am

Hi everyone.
Went out yesterday after work....got bored so decided i would try out hubbys grunt call and rattle that i borrowed. I was bored. Lol. I grunted 3 time softly and then clicked the rattle a couple times. This buck came busting through the corn on the other side of the ravine, crashed through the ravine behind me and by the time i had the bow up he was beside my stand. He looked up at me....but didnt see or care or something. He walked out of the weedy stuff 10 feet in front of the stand so a steep angle shot quartering away on the left....found him 50 yards away of course in the water at the bottom of the ravine-he went down on the hill and rolled into the bottom. Why oh why do they always end up in the water at the bottom? Lol. Found the broadhead lodged under the skin clear across him in his armpit. Lung and heart shot. Couldnt have asked for a better shot. I am totally indebted to my hubby-all the work he did to make it possible for me to get out-shooting rails, winching him out, adding steps to the stand ladder, helping me out and back in when i was having teouble walking...and staying up butchering till 2am...and to a fellow named john from toronto and ontario out of doors forum for the crank for the bow....i am totally broken today but its all okay. He is a gorgeous buck and the meat looks amazing. He will be sausages and hamburgers and steaks are already in the freezer. Actually is 8 points but tiny beams lol. Good thick body though, just a great animal all around.
20161104_204725.jpg
20161104_183552.jpg
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Buck down!!!

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:08 am

Yay well done!!!!!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Buck down!!!

Post by ross » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Good stuff Kathy looks great . Where there's a will there's a way & a little help from your "friends" :-)
The winter on your mind will be better now with that out of way & in freezer . Every time you bring some venison out of the freezer another memory of the hunt will flash by & you will smile with a warm " well done " feeling . Does for me anyway . Folks who aren't hunters or feeling the pain don't always understand but we do . Kudos Martin for all you did I can see the big grin on both your faces . Luck is an attitude . :-)
:wee:
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady

Buck down!!!

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:56 pm

You are absolutely right ross.
Given that i wasnt even sure if i could get out this year....i am so happy that i did. Today - well i will handle it and be gentle to myself for a while-probably a good week or so. Laying in bed last night i did everything for my back-pillow under my knees etc and slept like a baby...i have my cbair in the kitchen for doing the grinding and will just putter taking my time. I am feeling just so happy and thankful today and just want martin to go and get his now and help as i can there. The pain is worth it...fo r now. I am glad i only have one tag and i didnt turkey hunt. Didnt et my migratory bird license either although i saw 3 woodcock yesterday!! I am now happy to stick close to home...lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Buck down!!!

Post by ross » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:14 pm

10-4 girl .... Ahh musky mania ... St.Clair ?
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Buck down!!!

Post by kenya » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Congratulations! Lots of luck with you, hope it lasts for your hubby to get one.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Buck down!!!

Post by thegawd » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:00 pm

even though I all ready told ya.... WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! CONGRATS! HECKA YA! THATS AWESOME!

Im back out trying again...

Have a good one n take it easy! :-D

:beer2:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Buck down!!!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Wow, what a haul! Loads of meat on that guy, congratulations!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Buck down!!!

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Very nice! Was your heart pounding in your ears or what?

Nothing beats corn fed free range venison!

:stars:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady

Buck down!!!

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:09 pm

Lol i really didnt have time to have that whole shaking from adrenalin thing!!! Until.after of course!!!
I did take the atv back out and found my bolt...lucky i saw where he went because i walked the trail.looking for my busted bolt...found it about 20 feet from where i shot him, broken right at the tip....i need to buy new bolts next year...only have 2 left now after about 10 years hunting.
20161105_151858.jpg
Yes ross. Musky mania. Lol. They will have fun. I am staying here.

I then decided to walk the trail to where i found him and there was no blood trail!!! One tree had a bit of fur on it with a bit of blood. And one other spot with a few drops. That was it!!! I am glad i watched where he ran!!! And found him before dark. Tracking him at night would have been almost impossible!!!

Figure about 65 pounds of meat....lots of steaks....and made hamburger patties today. And made up the mix for sausages for stuffing casings tomorrow. Smells good in here-all honey garlic. Yum.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”