Buck down!!!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Buck down!!!

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:39 pm

Sorry Baron I didn't mean you, I was rambling on about VCRs and stuff, so my bad not you, but hey you know if you are feeling guilty then you can come here and cut wood if you want???

Maybe it's different for you guys WLLady but around here the bucks are too clever to come out, it's very bushy, swampy and hilly here so the boys stay out of site deep in the forest or higher in the hills. I see dozens and dozens of deer every day going to and from work but I never see a buck so it's almost magical when one comes out, they seem to know this is not a good time to stroll out lol. When I get home the girls on the other hand are standing in my garden with carrot tops hanging out of their mouths looking at me as if to say "what did I do"?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Buck down!!!

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Oh the only time we see bucks is if we stake out the thick bushy crap or get onto the edge of a corn field and get lucky lol. I always always see way more does than bucks....and yep the girls dont seem to care quite as much. Bucks are a lot more wary until in rut and then theyre a bit stupid...
Sort of like teenaged boys really. Lol
But we have quite a few bucks here that i have seen over the years. Usually at odd times like 2 in the afternoon. Lol
Yep just want hubby to get his and then we have a few friends that we will share with and call it a season and hunker down for winter.
Although it sure didnt feel like winter tonday! Or this past weekend!!! Novelty to be able to do our butcherin without either the hose or our fingers freezing!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Buck down!!!

Post by ross » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Think I'll go fishin . Great weather for it altho need more rain to get the run goin upriver . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady

Buck down!!!

Post by WLLady » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Looks like the whole week is going to be pretty nice ross! Get out and enjoy it!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Buck down!!!

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:21 pm

I think I saw one very young buck in the 35 years here.
There is a hunt camp across the road from us, heard some enthusiastic shooting yesterday and met couple does in my backyard, they might be in hiding here. Wouldn't mind having one of them in my freezer, considering I fed them all summer it would only be fair.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Buck down!!!

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Last December I "flushed" a trio of bucks with big racks hiding in a depression in the neighbours field. Three big bucks together! Where was my camera? I'm sure those buys where up a couple of trees during the season.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Buck down!!!

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:12 am

Sure Baron lol, you "saw" three bucks but you know what everyone here always says, if there are no pictures... it didn't happen... hahaha! That's ok the last one I saw had two popsicle sticks for antlers and I was thrilled over that. I just shoot with a camera however.

When you guys get an older buck, what is the meat like? I am wondering because he's older so wouldn't it be like eating an old bull compared to a nice young steer?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Buck down!!!

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 am

We had one buck we'd been hunting belly crawl a fence line and away!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Buck down!!!

Post by WLLady » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:50 am

I got a nice HUGE buck one year....and he was a bit tougher and a bit more "game" flavoured than the younger ones....but down here they're all grain fed, and mostly taste like cow without the fat. LOL.
2013 buck antlers.jpg
i don't actually have a photo of the buck itself-by the time we got it tagged and out of the bush we were exhausted. this was 2013...and we needed the atv winch (and then it tried to pull the atv over the edge!) and 2 people to move it WITH the atv winching....he was huge.
and yes, he was tough. and yes, i took him with a bow, and yes, he busted the bolt too.
IMG_0273.JPG
his are the bigger antlers. the others are a buck from the year before, a "normal" sized buck, about the size of the one i took last week. and for scale, that is sitting on top of our "man-i-que" bbq...one of those HUGE stainless steel bbqs...they're what 32 inches wide? maybe 30 inches wide? i think the big rack measured in about 26 inches across.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Buck down!!!

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:58 am

Wow! O_O Buckzilla!

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”