No turkey

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

No turkey

Post by ross » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 am

No turkey agin this fall . None on cameras or heard any . Not sure if predators got um scared , lor my inability to sneak around bush hinders .
All corn still standing around me . Never did like fall hunt think I'll pass next year . Turkeys are hunted /acting different in fall more like gangs but no sex drive .Every males downfall . LOL . Never have shot a hen . Anybody else get one . Luck :turkey:
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

No turkey

Post by thegawd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:15 am

my inability to get one in the spring leads me to not hunt them in the fall. LOL I understand the way to hunt them in the fall is to find a covey of them all together and then scare and break up the flock so they take off in all dirctions. then sit and wait for them to group back together, call them using lost hen calls. but I dont know thats just what I remember reading in OOD.

I had a big covey here going back and fourth from both bushes all winter last year. 25 birds or so. if they make those regulation changes I could possibly get one if they come back in the future. ya if they do make those changes and extend the season I would definitely hunt them.

I havent seen any turkeys but I have seen some turkey crap in the bush.

I recently found out there is a group of coyote hunters who systemically hunt the entire area around here clearing them all out. one of the guys lost his best dog a few years ago when a pack chased him onto land they didnt have permission to hunt, just a few properties down on the other side, the land owner wouldnt even let him go after his dog (he did go get him but it was too late.) it was them that shot the coyote here last fall. those guys are doing the turkeys and me a huge favor!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

No turkey

Post by ross » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:55 am

Yep but probably scaring the turkeys to another area as well . Luck

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

No turkey

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:10 pm

We didnt have any tags but saw turkeys pretty much every outing. Hate plucking the pin feathers and down. We stalk them so we know where the roosts are and then ambush when they are headed to roost. But we passed this year. Want the freezer for deer and have a turkey in the barn for christmas....
I passed too because the shotgun would wreck me i think. Been out 4 times...seen 5 does. No bucks yet. But saw a nice 6 point on the way back from the hospital yesterday-standing in the ditch watching the world going by. At noon. Lol. So i may do a mid day hunt next weekend. Im done at the end of this coming weekend....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

No turkey

Post by ross » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Might want to try a 20 gu again Kathy after operation . Less womp but more pellets if use std load not turkey special . Als got the pump I got from you I'm sure he'd let you try or Ive got my H&R tamer 20gu your welcome try only 6lbs & 34" long nice bush gun . . Luck
Attachments
image.jpeg

WLLady

No turkey

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks ross. I will be good with the 12 again by 2018. I am ready to pass on hunting next spring but i better be ready for deer in fall!! Surgeon is pretty adament on zero shooting until fusion is set with anything bigger than the 22. So i could still bow hunt in spring if i feel up to it.
Once i am fused watch out!! Lol
I am glad that 20 is where it will get good use!!!
Its a good little gun.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

No turkey

Post by ross » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:50 pm

More power to yu . Get er done . Luck

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

No turkey

Post by thegawd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:04 pm

its a beautiful gun! thanks! if you do ever want to use it Kathy its not a problem at all. its supposed to be Lizzies for when she gets her pal but for the same reasons (bad back) she wont shoot it. I do carry it from time to time and shoot clays with it but since it has the fixed modified choke and can shoot steel my kids will be able to use it for migratory birds when they are old enough if they want to. its absolutely perfect for doves!

wishing you all the best Kathy with your surgery and recovery!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

No turkey

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Get a Graco recoil reducer for the stock.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

No turkey

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:54 pm

I can understand not shooting for Lizzie-dont know about her but i can put myself on the floor sneezing!!
Hopefully she can find some relief for her back. A good recoil pad might help too-but i have a hunch that her back needs a lot of what mine needs....in which case not shooting is a good thing.....

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”