Coyote problem and winning a Citori

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Coyote problem and winning a Citori

Post by Dominion Link » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:57 pm

One night last winter I lost my small flock of Magpie and Muscovy ducks to coyotes. They had been free ranging on our property for almost a year with zero losses, even with a few dozen ducklings being raised to maturity the previous summer and fall. So, I started over with a small flock of Magpie ducklings from Tara, and with transportation assistance from WLLady. We were letting them free range every day and then locking them in a stall every evening when we did our night chores. On Tuesday night there was a miscommunication and they were left out. The next morning, all 5 ducks were gone with only small piles of feathers left to show where they were killed. They had been killed in our stallion's paddock, which is immediately beside our barn. The stallion was out in the paddock overnight and my coon hounds are kennelled 20 yards away. Very brazen and incredibly infuriating behaviour. We have 4 foals due this spring and for the first 6 months or so, they will be turned out during the day in the stallion paddock.... Time to up the anti. I will be calling out back every chance I get, and my Wife wants to get a livestock guard dog. I am sick and tired of these invasive hybrids wiping out my birds! Problem is, we live a 1/2 mile from a CLOCA conservation area that the local coyote pack uses as a sanctuary. Just love it when my taxes are used to buy and maintain conservation areas, and exclude their use from hunting activities.

On a better note, I decided to enter a Canadian Tire/ Browning photo competition a few weeks ago, with a photo of my Daughter, old coonhound and myself. Received a call on Wednesday that we won a Browning Citori shotgun!...... It might get used for some, in-close, coyote hunting.
Last edited by Dominion Link on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Coyote problem and winning a Citori

Post by ross » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:20 pm

Yep man , just like anything else they have to be controlled . I'm waiting for this rabies to move into Torontario & all these people that think their so cute & misunderstood start having issues . Cute yes , misunderstood no . #2 lead is what I use here for coyote .
Tried to take the neighbors 2 Huskies right out of his 5' fenced yard . Another one down . Luck
Nice prize man .
Last edited by ross on Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Dean stake out your fenceline just at dawn and dusk. Get yourself a screaming rabbit call or a wounded sheep...sounds like a duck recording my work as well. Be as scent free as you can and do not move-they have great eyesight. Sight in for 200 yards....and learn how to take the long shots. Good luck. At this time of year i make sure to keep a sharp eye and keep the gun keys handy. They will be back....good luck...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:59 am

I have a Foxpro caller with dozens of sounds loaded on it, plus an automated decoy. Several choices in firearm, but for the distances I would be shooting out back either the .22 Magnum or .223 will suffice. Primarily, I want to call them in from the general direction of the conservation area which is east of us, but unfortunately the prevailing breezes have been from the west most days recently. That will change though....

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:06 am

Congrats Dean! thats such an awesome xmas gift! I sure hope you get those coyotes! Thats incredibly frustrating! I have a savage axis 223, cheap but a well built straight shooting gun in skull camo haha! I love that gun! just wish ammo was more available, Id sure like to practice a lot more with it!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:30 am

I have live traps here up to small fox . Hopefully the coyote ones will come on sale somewhere soon . Nite guard . Luck
PS anybody got a gently used one for sale I'd interested if not a long distance away .
Last edited by ross on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:42 am

What's the choke on new gun O/U ?
Rifled barrel or smooth ?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:45 am

Al tsc now carries ammo as do most canadian tire stores....in case you didnt know.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:22 pm

Ross, the shotgun hasn't arrived yet and they didn't say which model of Citori it is. Browning will be follow up in the New Year for delivery.
Last edited by Dominion Link on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:22 pm

LOL yeah I know... 223 ammo is hit or miss, US gvmt hoarding it all for the 5.56... everything i have for 223 are legal hunting rounds ballistic tipped... expensive to shoot. When I bought this gun it took me 2 months just to find any ammo in order to shoot it, everywhere was sold out of 223, 5.56 readily available but my gun is not stamped for 5.56. I know ppl will shoot them any ways but not me. I stick to whats stamped. I would love to get my hands on a crate of 223 legal hunting rounds but they are all FMJ... now if I realized this issue before buying the gun I probably would have went 22-250 but I chose the 223 after reviewing many ballistic tests... the 223 hunting round is a very safe round.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”