Tips on setting raccoon live traps?

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 am

Hi all,

We have been having a coon problem - we caught three at once two or three weeks ago, after we were losing a chicken almost every night. But now the empty positions are being filled faster than we can vacate them! :pull_hair: :gaah: They've taken two birds already this week, including my nicer ameraucana rooster :angry: It was a unanimous vote - we want the coons gone!

When we set the traps, we put cat kibble in bacon fat and put it in a small cat food tin (minus wet cat food) and put it at the back of the live trap. But then when we check in the morning, the buggers have helped themselves to the bait without being so kind as to actually get caught!

Any tips on how you set your coon traps (placement, bait, tricks) would be mighty appreciated - by me, not the coons :wink:
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

Co-President of U of Guelph's Poultry Club
Proud to be called a chicken

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:04 am

We just us tuna juice , dog food juice , gravy , cooking oil bacon grease whatever's handy . Pour it on paddle & at back of trap on ground so have to reach for . Tie or stake down trap so can't move . Luck
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:02 pm

If they've gotten sneaky about taking the food without setting off the trap, you can wire a cooked, meaty bone to the inside- end or top of the trap. They will have to work to try and get it off and they almost always set off the trap in the process. You can usually use the same bone over several weeks and just smear some cooking grease all over it to keep them coming.
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:04 pm

When you set the trap be careful of how you engage the door latch.
Most are J shaped, the door should just rest on the tip of the J that way it is more sensitive and will trigger easier.

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks for all the tips! Got one little guy overnight, but still on the lookout for the big one I know is somewhere around here!
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:26 pm

excellent! the only tip I have is dont set traps in buildings. you may get skunked! at least I sure did when I trapped a skunk in the coop. terrible, terrible idea. LOL.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:40 am

Got a bigger one last night with a chicken leg strapped to the roof of the cage, and a cinder block in top! I like the bait at the top, there is little way for them to wiggle much of it out :D

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:53 pm

I use chick starter as bait. Cats seem to leave that alone, but coons seem to like it.
WD 40 the moving parts so the door moves fast and latches securely. I have to tie my trap to a post etc.

The Goatlady
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by The Goatlady » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:23 am

Weave maple flavored bacon in between the cage wire at the back bottom ....leave some bacon under the trap...they have to work to get there treat and set the tripper plate off quicker. ...throw a sardine in with oil drippings really gets them going.....

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:55 am

BACON ....Heidi .... ? Don't be surprised if yu find me in your trap .lol Plain is fine .
Not to crispy please . Haha
Have a good one .. Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”