Spring turkey season

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Spring turkey season

Post by ross » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:33 am

Drop a bag of loose cattle salt from feed mill on the ground in a slight recession in ground & start a salt lick , keeps ground salty . Place your stand in shooting distance & keep it fresh they'll be there come season .
Yep same here Al nice to have a place out of rain & wind . Wether it's on the ground , in a blind or in a tree movement seen is the thing that yu don't need but yu do need turkeys . No matter how yu hunt no turkey means no turkey .. Luck off to wal-Mart to practice my calls . Lol :turkey:
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Spring turkey season

Post by thegawd » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:51 am

well I can hear that hen again but see nothing. I picture the flock over there dancing at the poolside LOL.

Oh shoot ya I need to do that Ross. but first I gotta pick a new spot for the stand. since its made of wood i dont want it standing in water. I havent even sat in it yet at all. the only one i sat in was yours. they are pretty sweet.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Spring turkey season

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:39 am

al....get into a verbal fight with the hen....loud clucks and yelps-keep her talking to you. try to pull her in-a live hen is the best decoy ever. and if you are lucky and she sticks around and chats with you for a while she may help pull in the boys. worked for me several times over the years.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

JP*
On the Roost

Spring turkey season

Post by JP* » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:02 am

No luck yet. Plenty of hens, no beards to be seen. Yesterday afternoon I watched a Bald Eagle chase them all into the bush. It was quiet after that.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Spring turkey season

Post by ross » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:50 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST well I can hear that hen again but see nothing. I picture the flock over there dancing at the poolside LOL.

Oh shoot ya I need to do that Ross. but first I gotta pick a new spot for the stand. since its made of wood i dont want it standing in water. I havent even sat in it yet at all. the only one i sat in was yours. they are pretty sweet.
Al , yu sure that's not another hunter in the other bush calling ????? Weirder thinks have happened that's why they tell yu to never use a gobble call unless your 200% sure your on private land & no one else there & then yu better duck to be sure . lol luck
Last edited by ross on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Spring turkey season

Post by ross » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Just comin back from city saw a nice size Tom tail up at one of the places I hunt . Give a try tomorrow.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Spring turkey season

Post by thegawd » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:30 pm

oh ya its a hen. I scared her or she scared me LOL last week. no one else hunts here for turkey. she moves all over the bush. hoping she will call the toms over. I dont think shes used to the blind yet cuz I havent seen her hunting.

Lots of wildlife out there so many birds I dont even know what they all are. except for the wren I know what those are, tiny things that sound like elephants. its nice to see all the different species instead of the usual invasives...

I hope you get him Ross! Good Luck man!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Spring turkey season

Post by ross » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks man also saw bout 20 with 4 fanning toms in a field west end London in city . No go :-(

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Spring turkey season

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Was out for an hour tonight in nw when hubby texts...2 toms and 2 hens in sw....go figure.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

JP*
On the Roost

Spring turkey season

Post by JP* » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:19 am

I bought a 3pack of decoys last night. Hopefully I get a chance to deploy them this weekend. 1 Jake, 1 feeding Hen and 1 attentive Hen.
The shop owner told me he has seen Bald Eagles take Turkeys.

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”