Spring turkey season

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Spring turkey season

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:36 am

Well...we had fun. Lol.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Spring turkey season

Post by poultry_admin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:20 am

Turkey down in a great team effort!
WLLady and I had a great hunt this morning with a good story that is going to keep us shaking out heads for a little while yet. It started by Turkey1 gobbling in tree right in front of us and Turkey2 100 yards to the east. T2 comes down first and over to where we are, challenging T1 who now flies out of the tree as well. The way we are sitting, I am about 40 yards away, WLLady 60-70. T1 takes a few steps forward around trees and brush, comes to a clearing in front of me, so I take the shot. He wabbles, he staggers, he sways, but he does not go down. So shot 2 when there was another opportunity. Now he goes down and flaps. YAY!! I'm done, but WLLady has another tag and there is another (bigger!) Turkey in the area -T2.
I text her that mine is down and if she wants to keep hunting?
WLLady: "You shot him while in my sights....seriously??!!"
me:"Next one coming" "He's standing where the other was"
WLLady:"I don't see him"
He is now standing a foot next to the first one that is down, but does not come to our calls. Then he turns and JUMPS right on top of the first one. The first one jumps up and tries to run away (wounded). T2 chases him and bumps him once more; until T1 is in another clearing in front of me. Now 20 yards. Shot 3. T2 is now running away scared, but I really want to get T1 on the ground quickly.
me:"I'm out" "Coming your way"
WLLady:"Stop!!!!"
me:"I'm save behind a tree" And I was! The turkey was "walking" closer to me and in the direction of WLLady. He was 10 yards from me by now. But I have a nice size tree and a ditch on the other side of WLLady, so I lie down in it. FLAT!!!
WLLady:" I have no line"
me: "He's just standing. I can make some noise to push him?"
WLLady:"I can see him he is in bramble"
me: "should I try to push him?"
WLLady: "No" "He's freaked out"
me:"Yes and wounded"
WLLady: "Stay"
Now Mr turkey takes a few more steps and gets shot at three more times before he is finally down. I'm no eye whiteness to that, I was behind a tree hiding. That makes 6 (!) shots for one and the same turkey!
So this was a real team effort.
:turkey:
Attachments
20160425_073303.jpg
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Spring turkey season

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:25 am

Wow, one tough bird? ;)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Spring turkey season

Post by ross » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:29 am

What a story ... U at least had him surrounded . Any eatable meat left or were most of the shots misses ? :-) ( turkey fever)
Nothin here but the body / feathers of one of my roller pigeons hawk must a got yesterday . Gonna try roost some tonite . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady

Spring turkey season

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:48 am

Ha ha ha! okay, folks, now you have my hubby's story from his point of view. My texts don't make sense do they? LOL. so...here's what happened from my point of view. Hubby's are in yellow....mine is normal type...so i can fill in some stuff. LOL

WLLady and I had a great hunt this morning with a good story that is going to keep us shaking out heads for a little while yet.

Yes, it was a wonderful morning!!!!

It started by Turkey1 gobbling in tree right in front of us and Turkey2 100 yards to the east. T2 comes down first and over to where we are, challenging T1 who now flies out of the tree as well. The way we are sitting, I am about 40 yards away, WLLady 60-70. T1 takes a few steps forward around trees and brush, comes to a clearing in front of me, so I take the shot. He wabbles, he staggers, he sways, but he does not go down. So shot 2 when there was another opportunity. Now he goes down and flaps. YAY!! I'm done, but WLLady has another tag and there is another (bigger!) Turkey in the area -T2.

Okay....so sun comes up. it's legal. turkey1 is gobbling right in front of me-about 70 yards north of me. Turkey3 (on retrospect) is gobbling quietly to my northwest, just a couple of times-he's closer, maybe 35 yards away, but i can't see him. i'm chatting with them both on my slate, and there's a hen trying to "win". LOL. they fly down, turkey1 breeds her from the sounds of it, and then is answering me....he comes up onto the top of the hill, just to my right about 70 yards up. figure he's headed for martin....not a peep from turkey3

I see movement from west of there, ahead but to the LEFT of me....west....and there's a bearded bird-not too small, but not big, and not gobbling...he's headed down the logging road to the left, turns and heads right in front of me. i have him in my sights-this has to be turkey3 and then BOOM-and it's not my gun....it's hubby's! turkey3 falls down....keep in mind this bird is MAYBE 25 yards from me-and was firmly in my sights, safety off.....it gets up, starts running west, and BOOM it goes into the mayapples, i hear a ton of flapping and then nothing. Now, keep in mind that EVERY YEAR, for the LAST 3 YEARS my hubby has shot the bird that i have had in my sights.....okay.....so i figure...

I text her that mine is down and if she wants to keep hunting?
WLLady: "You shot him while in my sights....seriously??!!"

so that explains that text. i really really thought he had shot my bird. then he writes:

me:"Next one coming" "He's standing where the other was"

well, um....no.....given that i figure he shot the first one i saw....(turns out this is turkey 3 apparently...LOL) so no, i don't see another bird....hence the

WLLady:"I don't see him"

i really didn't. LOL there's no other bird...and his is over in the may apples, i'm sure it's down.

He is now standing a foot next to the first one that is down, but does not come to our calls. Then he turns and JUMPS right on top of the first one. The first one jumps up and tries to run away (wounded). T2 chases him and bumps him once more; until T1 is in another clearing in front of me. Now 20 yards. Shot 3. T2 is now running away scared, but I really want to get T1 on the ground quickly.

then martin shoots again! um...at...what?

me:"I'm out" "Coming your way"

NO i see a bird!!!!! it's 30 yards up due north of me....and looks like it's trying to hide...it gets itself down in the brambly stuff between 2 huge trees. looks like it is lying down...i don't have a shot, but really don't want my hubby scaring it off...so....the next text gets sent....

WLLady:"Stop!!!!"

Then he sends back:

me:"I'm save behind a tree" And I was! The turkey was "walking" closer to me and in the direction of WLLady. He was 10 yards from me by now. But I have a nice size tree and a ditch on the other side of WLLady, so I lie down in it. FLAT!!!

i have no idea why he's telling me he's safe behind a tree, i'm shooting due north, he's over to the east, but okay....well, i'm going to have to shoot at this thing to scare it out, it probably knows there's a hunter over there, and is trying to hide out. so i try to see him..i can just see about 2 inches its head....besides, my hubby's bird is over there, ready to be tagged. right? right.

WLLady:" I have no line"

me: "He's just standing. I can make some noise to push him?"
WLLady:"I can see him he is in bramble"
me: "should I try to push him?"
WLLady: "No" "He's freaked out"

seriously? are we talking about the same bird? the one i see looks like it's lying down....well, i'm gonna have to scare it out, so i shoot...there's no way any pellets got there with the trees and brush between me and it. but it does come out....

me:"Yes and wounded"

whoohoo! i hit it....and oh...he is talking about the same bird.....this one is definitely wounded...so he did hit it-or did i hit it somehow with that first shot-his is over there, isn't it? WTH is going on...why is this bird wounded?...i don't want hubby dashing out and getting shot....he's safe behind a tree now...so i tell him to:
WLLady: "Stay"

turkey stops right behind a tree. and stands there....so, another shot behind it...i need it to move forward....it does...and down it goes. yes, 3 shots, but only the third was on the bird....um...that thing had a BAD day...

Now Mr turkey takes a few more steps and gets shot at three more times before he is finally down. I'm no eye whiteness to that, I was behind a tree hiding. That makes 6 (!) shots for one and the same turkey!

and now you know the reason for the 3 shots lol. so i go over to find my hubby's bird...and well, um....there's no bird in the may apples...um....? what the? turns out, we have a bird here that fools one of us every year. when there's a gun shot, it falls on the ground, flaps along the ground and gets up and runs when it's out of sight. which is probably the one that i saw that "fell" when hubby took his first shot. so that's turkey3...and it went back down the logging road and into the ravine.
So this was a real team effort.

yep! and hubby will take more than 3 shells next time he goes. LOL. when we processed this one there were definitely 2 different pellets-mine are copper plated 5s and hubby shoots lead 6...so it really WAS the same bird....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Spring turkey season

Post by ross » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:11 am

Haha next time out calls for video mounts on your shotguns . Luck

WLLady

Spring turkey season

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:21 am

we have glasses that have recording on them, but with the shotgun all it records is the action and sights of the shotgun LOL. i think we need mission impossible radios-you know the ones that fit in the ear and that you whisper and the other person can hear it....then maybe we can figure out just what we are shooting at LOL. just glad we had em surrounded this morning LOL. Headed back out later i think. Have a coop to clean first, need to make the best of a day off work :-)

sorry about your roller there ross. that sucks-at least it didn't go to waste really...but it would be so much nicer if they'd pick off the starlings and not the ones that get our hard work.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Spring turkey season

Post by poultry_admin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:42 am

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Haha next time out calls for video mounts on your shotguns . Luck
Great idea ross! Maybe hearing protection that works well while hunting also?
Anyone can recommend any good ones of either?
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Spring turkey season

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:03 am

Well done guys!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Spring turkey season

Post by ross » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:10 am

I have a pr of earphones / protective used in soninlaws factory
Howard Leight by Sperian from Australia . Work well .
He got um thru work .
Attachments
image.jpeg

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”