Target Practice - Day 1

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Target Practice - Day 1

Post by WLLady » Fri May 27, 2016 9:05 am

and watch that your limbs aren't going to hit a tree in front of you, you'll only do that ONCE....the limbs are stronger than you and the stock will give you a good bruise on your jaw if the limb pushes a tree when you fire. it'll hurt like crazy AND if you are lucky your dentist and doctor will ask "are you safe at home" when you go to make sure your jaw isn't broken. (not personal experience, but a friend of mine...with the matrix 300 something).

move way closer to your target and get your crosshairs sighted in, use a shooting rail or lie on the ground....really really steady. once you can hit the button consistently then move back another 5-10 yards....repeat. when you see an animal you are going to have to fight the adrenaline, you are going to SHAKE. that takes practice to learn how to control....deep breaths....and hold your breath to shoot....or shoot on your exhale....practice makes perfect!!!!

al, if you bury bolts in the field hook the cultivator up to the tractor and drive SLOWLY through with the cultivator down (works much better after crop is off LOL or before it's on) driving at 90 degrees to the direction you were shooting and cover area further than you think!...the bolts will get lifted by the cultivator. drive slowly so you don't mangle them....i've found several lost ones that way....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Target Practice - Day 1

Post by Maximus » Sat May 28, 2016 9:02 am

Thanks Kathy. That's how I started the other day. Back at ground zero and thankfully I've made progress. Phew! I was a bit worried about myself after day 2! LOL.

Thankfully with Josh being able to bullseye or hit 99% close to his chosen target from various distances and angles on the bag he has taught me a LOT. Scope is bang on. It's 100% me! I'm left eye Dom, shooting right. I'm working on the right eye. I tried leaning over for left eye right shoot but too awkward. Tried shooting left, lost an arrow. I'll find it. I seem to be pulling to the left. So I will aim at the cross/X and hit to the left 98% of the time. I don't know if I should move over in my target sighting to the right to accommodate for the left adjustment or keeping working on getting it sorted.

Yesterday we got just over 4.5 hours of practice under our belts. Not all at once, but throughout the day. This kid of mine is a natural. He kicks my butt thoroughly but is very helpful in sharing his 'tips' for success. And he can set the bow with zero effort. 200lbs and I'm like in a weight lifting challenge with each set. lol. Hilarious. My pipes (or lack of) are sore HAHA!

Today when he gets home early afternoon we'll be back out there. He put a huge dirt pile behind where we are putting the target bag last night in case I wanted to work on left shooting. What a kid eh? at least I won't lose anymore arrows/bolts.

I AM DETERMINED!!
image.jpeg

Maximus

Target Practice - Day 1

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:15 am

Damn this hitting to the left!! Maybe at the PikNik (if i am able to get there) I can bring the crossbow and get some help with this damn left issue? Providing I haven't worked it out by then of course.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Target Practice - Day 1

Post by ross » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Aim to right & if that solves it , could be your scope needs adjusting Sandy .If your son puts x hairs on spot & hits it then your pulling to left when firing . If so just put the forearm of your X bow on a rest , aim at centre target & slowly squeeze trigger not pull/jerk .Start at 15-20 yds then work back using graduations / recticals in scope glass. Hope helps . Luck
Last edited by ross on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Maximus

Target Practice - Day 1

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks Ross, I'll try thise adjustments later when I'm back at target practice.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Target Practice - Day 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:27 pm

yup totally agree with Ross. only adjust one click at a time and only 1 adjustment. it could be that your just pulling to the left. if thats the case and you cant seem to stop it id personally adjust the scope one click to the right at a time until your hitting the spot consistently. then Josh can aim slightly to the right to hit the spot. ;-)

practice makes perfect! keep on keeping on!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Target Practice - Day 1

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:36 pm

That is the problem I have with handguns, I always pull slightly left. Not shotguns or rifles though.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Hunting and Fishing”